Travel lockdown and car battery

Caporegime
New Zealand has a travel lockdown in place where only travel deemed essential is permitted. I have two cars sitting on the drive and wondering how best to keep the batteries from dying. Is the car being on but not moving for, say, 20 minutes sufficient or is there a better way? I don't have a trickle charger or any other means of charging it from an external source although perhaps that's a good option to consider?

Thoughts?

Caporegime
I doubt it’ll be necessary.

I came back from 4 weeks in Spain and my car started first time after being parked up.

Yeah this. I had a 2000 plate pajero a couple of summers ago. Left it at the airport, came back and jumped in and left.

If you're out for food, every two weeks (probably more often?) you're going to be fine.

Soldato
Not moving won't do anything, the auxiliary belt needs to be running to run the alternator, if anything you'll run the battery down like that.

You could jack the wheels up and stick it in gear and place a brick on accelerator for 20mins.

Soldato
Not moving won't do anything, the auxiliary belt needs to be running to run the alternator, if anything you'll run the battery down like that.

You could jack the wheels up and stick it in gear and place a brick on accelerator for 20mins.

I'm sorry that's total rubbish.

A car will charge at idle.

Soldato

I'm pretty sure the alternator belt is run from the engine, not from the driveline after the transmission.

Associate
Another option, disconnect the battery (and store it at home). Preferably fully charge first. It will stay charged for months.

20 min drive once a month should be sufficient.

Associate
[QUOTE="[FnG] the car being on but not moving for, say, 20 minutes sufficient [/QUOTE]

It will be sufficient but will introduce condensation in the crank case as the engine has not got up to working temperature. A battery tender will do the job and swap it between cars so they get one week on and one week off.

Soldato

This is why you don't take advice from the internet... :p

Soldato
Yes, definitely put a brick on the pedal and allow a cold engine to sit on the rev limiter for 20 minutes.

Might as well undo the oil drain plug whilst you're there to allow the oil to circulate more freely using gravity.

e: Aactually, if you throw the battery away then you won't have to worry about it discharging :)

Back
Top Bottom