Travel rules with cameras?

Soldato
Hi,

Well, my brother (the jammy sod) has won a 4 day all expenses paid trip to St Moritz for some skiing/snowboarding and has invited me along :D

So, after getting my s9600 I am wondering what the rules are these days on taking a camera in your carry on luggage? Are you still able to or does it have to go in check-in luggage?

After my recent debacle with BA on our Xmas trip to the states I am dubious about leaving my camera in the checkin luggage, not to mention the fact that it could get damaged by some numpty while out of my care.

So are we allowed to take it on board or is it now a no-no?

Cheers, really looking forward to this trip, should make for some cracking photos :D

Puz

Puz

Associate
Yup, I've always taken my camera and lenses on as hand luggage and never
had an issue with it. As long as your kit is in a bag that confirms to that
particular airlines size dimensions then you should be fine :)

Soldato
OP
Great, puts my mind at ease, going to put it all in a backpack as I dont have much stuff (no lenses etc) and its easier to carry.

Roll on March :D

Man of Honour
Yep, I've brought my kit on as hand luggage on loads of flights. If I'm flying out of Heathrow they always open the bag to inspect it and rub it with those swabs which I think are to detect bomb making materials but there's no problem with bringing the gear on.

Associate
It's all fine. I took my 400D and laptop to Florida in October. The only thing was that laptops and video cameras need to go through the x-ray machines separately from your bag. Still cameras were fine.

Soldato
I would never trust my camera in the hold luggage. My mum recently went to Australia and had a big thick frying pan in there (please don't ask), and on arrival it managed to pick up a flippin great dent along one side. :/

Man of Honour
Taking a camera on a plane no longer marks you down as a terrorist whose bottom needs to be searched with a rubber glove and spoon.

Thank god for that! :eek:

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom