Travelling!

Soldato
Have fun! Your word of the day is: backup.
icon14.gif

Soldato
I'm asuming you're gone anyway but you might make this thread your first port of call when you hit an internet café (yeah right!). 'Sawat-dee-ka' is hello in Thai, and when people do the prayer position and bow at you, it's expected you do it back. You'll feel like a pillock, but making the effort to speak their language and say hello/goodbye/thanks with the prayer thing will be very much appreciated :)

Associate
Scam said:
I'm asuming you're gone anyway but you might make this thread your first port of call when you hit an internet café (yeah right!). 'Sawat-dee-ka' is hello in Thai, and when people do the prayer position and bow at you, it's expected you do it back. You'll feel like a pillock, but making the effort to speak their language and say hello/goodbye/thanks with the prayer thing will be very much appreciated :)

You went to new zealand a while back didnt you mate? Im thinking of maybe going there for a month or so and i was wondering how long you went for, how you got around and how much money you took?

Andy

Soldato
I did yeah. I went for three weeks, but i'd been there a couple of times before (i have relatives out there). I say to everyone who wants to go to NZ -- you need at the very least a month to see enough. People go for 6 weeks and run out of time, there really is so much to do. We rented a car and drove around. It was excellent. Might not be as fun if you're on though. I really dont know how much money i spent there, but a lot of the activities are a bit expensive. Renting a car was very cheap though, and they drive on the same side of the road
icon14.gif

This is a good site: http://www.newzealand.com/travel/getting-to-around-nz/driving-routes/driving-routes-home.cfm

Soldato

Ooof, I know its bad form to play thread necromancer but I was searching through the forum to see if anyone here spoke Thai as I'm learning it at the moment.

I stumbled upon this and that's actually the way women say hello. Men say "sawat-dee-krup" so if you did go around saying this to everyone and no one corrected you, you'd look like a pillock as well as feeling like one :D

But in the present, if anyone knows Thai now, let me know

Soldato
No one does the bowing thing in Thailand.. i travelled all over, didn't see it once!

Thailand is AMAZING

Get to Kanchanaburi for scenery

Adaman Sea side for Kho Phi Phi
then cross over to Kho Samui, Kho Phagnan and Ko Tao

Associate
OP
Wow can't belive someone revived this thread....There was a new thread created when I came back with Pics in. I did a culture visit where I stayed with Monks etc, where we learnt the language and the traditional customs. Also did some trekking in the northern jungles, and travelled most of Thialand whilst I was there. I really would recommend it to anyone, especially on a tight budget. The culture is awesome...Really want to go back at some point.

Back
Top Bottom