1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tree fell on me whilst driving. Think my Clio is for the scrap heap. (with footage)

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Ben Cole, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Ben Cole

Mobster

Just making my way home yesterday and BANG!!!! Didn't know what hit me.

Turned out a tree had fallen and caught me sweet in the windscreen. Had the dashcam running and a young lady from the opposite side of the road sent me her footage too. This actually gives an impression of what happened whereas mine is just a smashed windscreen.

Enjoy.

2. SupraWez

Wise Guy

Would certainly wake you up..

3. maddness

Soldato

:eek: oh wow

4. sigma

Perma Banned

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. rebel rebel

Wise Guy

Jebus!:eek::eek::eek:

6. Azza

Caporegime

wow. The lack of swearing is very reserved on your part.

7. rebel rebel

Wise Guy

You could probably sell this to the papers.

8. Steampunk

Soldato

We had a tree fall over outside our place a week ago. Landed in next door's garden, popped a fence panel out. Another foot taller and it would have been through the neighbours windows, and a foot further over and it would have landed on our car (just the small branches at the edge caught it, so no damage). We were all very lucky, and what makes it more annoying is that the tree had been checked by the council three months back at the request of my neighbour, and they said it was all fine. At least the council had it all chopped up and cleared away within a few hours.

The super hot summer months last year may have weakened a lot of trees, then last week's cold and wind pushed any weak ones to the edge. Less inspections and maintenance from cash strapped councils, and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Crappy for you to lose a car and have to deal with insurance, but at least you're unhurt and you've got plenty of evidence for any claim. It could have gone worse if it had landed on your head!

9. Ben Cole

Mobster

Spot the "quiet part" in the video ;):D

10. skaif

Mobster

That was intense! What's insurance saying? Write off? Your premiums are now probably looking to increase as a result of your higher risk of driving into trees! :D

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

12. Housey

Man of Honour

Nasty and wasn’t obvious it was coming down either.

13. Kaeo

Wise Guy

Pow. Right in the kisser. :D:p Funny now that no-one was hurt. Damage to the door and window pillars. Highly likely a write-off I'd say. Very lucky you are. :eek:

14. Finglonga

Wise Guy

Wow, that could have been much worse, glad you are ok. Came down so fast as well.

15. Semple

Soldato

Think you can hear it cracking in the video, although presumably it'll have all happened way too fast to do much about it.

I got hit by a much smaller branch driving to the shops yesterday, no damage done, but certainly made me jump.

16. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

This is what it looks like, when a tree flies

17. DarrenM343

Mobster

Could have been much worse. Tree looked a bit of a rotter given how it broke up so easily.
    What are the chances of that happening. Did you do the lottery too ? :p

18. Nasher

Capodecina

My parents has something similar a few months back with a large branch, which fell on a corner of their garden and flattened a fence. Could easily have killed someone. The tree ended up being cut down because it was getting way to big for where it was.

19. Hades

Capodecina

Wow that's unlucky. Glad you're OK!

20. Ben Cole

Mobster

I like the new lyrics.

Thanks for the sentiments everyone. Car probably written off because of A pillar damage.

Annoying because it's a high miler but I've done all of those miles and they've been 90% gentle motorway miles so the car was absolutely tip top.