Tried jamming with an augmented reality artist today [video]

Associate
...and I think this could be a pretty big thing. Imagine being able to jam alongside your favourite guitarists/musicians/singers using augmented reality. It would take backing tracks to the next level!

I noticed the Childish Gambino "playmoji" was released a few days ago so spent a bit of time today trying to work out how to play guitar alongside it [video below]. It was a bit of a nightmare to setup due to how these playmojis work but it should give you a sense of what may be possible in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_0C7YNQ6x4

Anyone know of anything similar to these playmojis? This was the only one I could find that was musical [android].

Caporegime
That's pretty cool :)

Augmented reality in general has been around for a little while, including on mobile devices - it has been about 10 years since, for example, since the nearest tube app was available on iPhone, that generated some press and was generally seen as quite a neat tool/nice illustration of what was possible etc... It hasn't really taken off since then, google's glasses project didn't exactly go so well and though almost everyone has a smart phone and can immediately start recording things at will people were openly hostile to the idea of someone walking around with a camera visible on their head even though most of the footage would inevitably be deleted/not stored by default and anything that was worth recording could probably be as easily recorded via a camera phone. I suspect it would take a big change in attitudes before those sorts of wearable devices were standard if ever. Bit of a shame as I did have a couple of ideas for apps that would really need such a product to be available.

Would be cool to see more little apps like whatever you used in making that video though, I think this is an area that will keep on steadily growing, I don't expect to see a drastic change overnight though anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom