Triple Cooked Beef Dripping Chips (Bluementhal style, but less hassle than expected)

Man of Honour
I whipped up a batch of triple cooked chips using left over beef dripping and potatoes from the meal I made last week. They ended up being less hassle than expected and incredibly incredibly nice :)

I'm sure everyone has heard of these but just in case, this is the rough method for cooking:

1) Boil the chips (then cool)
2) Fry the chips on low heat (then cool)
3) Fry the chips on a high heat (then eat..nomnom)

I forgot to get pictures of some of the stages of preparation but most of it is here.

First off, peel and cut your potatoes into chips. Try to make them even but it really doesn't matter.

Next step, stick the chips in a pan of water, completely covered. Stick a little salt and a splash of vinegar in here. Boil the chips until the potato is completely cooked and starting to go "furry" around the edges (I don't mean the 'yif' kind of furry btw).

Once done, put the chips on a tray to drain. After they've finished steaming, move them to the fridge for 30 mins or so (you can do more...I just did this stuff between tidying the house so there were gaps of 30-45 minutes between each step).

02_chips_after_boil.jpg

Now, stick some beef dripping (or you can use oil) into a pan and begin to heat it. This step requires only a low heat - around 120C. I used a thermometer but you can get away with being less precise.

01_beef_dripping.jpg

Stick the chips in and fry them for 3-5 minutes. You should see a crust start to form but the chips shouldn't brown at all.

03_chips_first_fry.jpg

Put the chips back on the tray and leave them to drain/cool. Once again, stick them in the fridge or freezer for 30-45 minutes.

04_chips_after_first_fry.jpg

Whack the heat up on the oil/dripping to get it to around 180C. Stick the chips back in and fry them until they turn golden-brown.

05_chips_second_fry.jpg

Drain them, sprinkle with salt and then stick them in a hot dish (I used a bibimbap bowl to keep them nice and hot, though the bowl kind of dwarfed the small portions of chips I made).

06_chips_after_second_fry.jpg

Enjoy :D

07_chips_final.jpg

Man of Honour
These are the most awesome thing ever and yours look like a most excellent version. So worth the hassle once in a while.

I did them with his 24hr cooked steaks. I enjoyed the chips more than the steak.

Soldato
I find that if you do the first cook at 160c, then 180c for the latter it seems to be the best temps, but you need to make sure it's over 180c really, as when you put the cold chips in, it very quickly drops the temps (unless using a deep fat fryer) which can then cause the chips to take on too much oil.

Man of Honour
OP
They were awesome. I normally don't really like chips that much but these really were amazingly good. The beef dripping definitely adds a nice background flavour too :)

I probably used the equivalent of 1.5 packets of dripping but it's hard to be precise given that it is stuff I had left over from a previous meal.

I actually cooked them at higher temperatures than the recipe recommended due to not properly keeping an eye on the fat at the pre-heating stage. The temperatures dropped down to the recommended ones once I put the chips in as, as you say, the temp comes down a lot from the cold chips.

Back
Top Bottom