Triple-lock on pensions will stay. Pensions will increase when earnings have decreased

Caporegime
I wonder if this is a tipping point. That could really hurt the tories. Especially as we know we will have barely any state pension soon
We already agreed our generation isn't going to retire :p

Or rather the bottom half aren't going to retire. We'll work till we drop. Only the upper classes will have the option or retiring, at any age.

Those at the bottom who can't work will just have to die of flu or starvation or something. It's coming.

But the average Brit doesn't believe in social security these days anyhow. It's all "I'm a self-made man and I provide for my family," rar rar. If you need a state pension or the like you just didn't pull your self off hard enough with your boot straps, or something.

The UK has become the very definition of the mentality, "I'm alright Jack."

Caporegime
That seems like a cop-out.

HMRC encourage anonymous reports. A bit strange if they don't do anything with them.

In 2017 Jennie Granger, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Compliance, said:

"Information provided by the public is a crucial element of HMRC’s work to close the tax gap, so it’s vital that the reporting process is as simple and accessible as possible. The HMRC Fraud Hotline will form an important part of our intelligence gathering operations to bring in more money for the Exchequer and the country."

"We encourage the public to continue to work with us and report any suspected fraud or evasion to us for investigation."

Of course publicly they aren't going to say we do nothing with tips.

You need to be willing to provide witness testimony for it to be taken seriously. Anonymous reports never get looked at.

It's not a cop out I know this for a fact.

I've actually also personally spoke with the director of customer compliance group and it's no longer Jennie granger fyi.

Caporegime
Of course publicly they aren't going to say we do nothing with tips.

You need to be willing to provide witness testimony for it to be taken seriously. Anonymous reports never get looked at.

It's not a cop out I know this for a fact.

I've actually also personally spoke with the director of customer compliance group and it's no longer Jennie granger fyi.

Don't you work for, or have some connection with, HMRC?

And, FYI, quotes are attributed to the person who made them.

Soldato
State pension is £7k a year.

That is disgusting. It should be double that at least.

The government should be targeting all the people who are evading tax by working cash in hand, etc. The guy across the road from me has 10 cars and he does 20% discount for cash is an example of how decent amount of additional tax revenues could be raised.

In fact do away with paper cash. Force everyone to do bank transfer and soon questions would be asked why he's receiving thousands of pounds on a weekly basis from strangers.

It only needs to match the so called "money you need to live on", as long as it matches that its fine, of course we all know that figure is hogwash so perhaps realistically as long as it matches ESA SG rates I think its fine, and it does match it.

Also it is higher I think for those who have paid enough NI.

Also as pointed out if you paying rent then you would get HB on top of that, plus council tax relief (which the elderly have protected rates like the old CTB).

Ultimately now is not the time to be handing out large DSS increases, that applies to everyone from pensioners to young people. This triple lock makes no sense to me at the moment.

Soldato
So you all contribute 35 years worth of NI payments and you all want to devalue your state pension payments !

It’s not free you numpties you pay for it.

As for the younger generation , well gone are the days of gold plated pensions and cheap houses . Your generation will just inherit wealth in your older age . Stop moaning and get on with it .

Caporegime
So you all contribute 35 years worth of NI payments and you all want to devalue your state pension payments !

It’s not free you numpties you pay for it.

As for the younger generation , well gone are the days of gold plated pensions and cheap houses . Your generation will just inherit wealth in your older age . Stop moaning and get on with it .
Unlikely for the bottom half of society. Any money tied up in your parent's assets will be sold off to pay for care costs. Including houses.

Many of the younger generation will be "getting on with" paying rent their whole lives, and inheriting nothing.

We're a two-tier country now, better get on with that. The screwed and the screwing :)

Associate
Are you lot still whittling on about something that isn’t going to happen? :p
No wonder millennials complain they haven’t got any money, they are spending all their time sitting online moaning about things that don’t exist.

Unlikely for the bottom half of society. Any money tied up in your parent's assets will be sold off to pay for care costs. Including houses.

Here is a radical thought - rather than bunging your parents in a care home and signing over their house, you could actually care for them yourselves thus making their lives more comfortable and retaining the family wealth they built up.
It is hard work mind, a lot harder than sipping frappuccino’s and complaining about the elderly - but it can be rewarding, emotionally and financially.

You will find a few houses even have a granny annex ready to go these days. A lot of boomers already had them converted so they could take care of their parents, as they had exactly the same challenges. ;)

Man of Honour
Here is a radical thought - rather than bunging your parents in a care home and signing over their house, you could actually care for them yourselves thus making their lives more comfortable and retaining the family wealth they built up.
It is hard work mind, a lot harder than sipping frappuccino’s and complaining about the elderly - but it can be rewarding, emotionally and financially.

You will find a few houses even have a granny annex ready to go these days. A lot of boomers already had them converted so they could take care of their parents, as they had exactly the same challenges.

TBH not everyone is geared up for caring for elderly people - I struggle with people and understanding people's needs at the best of times, even those close to me, and will likely end up paying for someone to do it if it comes to it. (Despite the fact I spend a lot of my time at work managing people - but that isn't a position I put myself in willingly).

Soldato

Many of the younger generation will be "getting on with" paying rent their whole lives, and inheriting nothing.

We're a two-tier country now, better get on with that. The screwed and the screwing :)

Rubbish - Doesn’t have to happen if your savvy about it , trouble is most parents don’t trust their own kids with money .

Caporegime

You will find a few houses even have a granny annex ready to go these days. A lot of boomers already had them converted so they could take care of their parents, as they had exactly the same challenges. ;)
Sure and give up your job so you can provide round-the-clock nursing care as needed...

Caporegime
Don't recall saying anything about pension credit or housing benefit, are you confusing me with somebody else?

Someone did who was against pensioners getting a rise when I mentioned £7k is abysmal per year for a pension. They then said they get other top ups if for housing, etc if they rent

Why does the choice need to be one or the other?

Why can't pensioners get a rise? Coronavirus has killed off a lot of them in care homes so the government have likely saved themselves a chunk of money right there.

Soldato

And Ive said it before and I’ll say it again , a couple on an average wage each can save and buy a property if they want to .The question is will they sacrifice a few years of their life’s luxury’s to do so and the answer Is no . So do I have any sympathy for the younger generation ? ’ll let you answer that .

I came from a real rubbish child hood growing up in east London , I just got on with it .

The young have plenty of life opportunities, it’s up to them to grab them not the older generation on a really bad state pension as it is to give it back to them .

Last edited:
Soldato
It only needs to match the so called "money you need to live on", as long as it matches that its fine, of course we all know that figure is hogwash so perhaps realistically as long as it matches ESA SG rates I think its fine, and it does match it.

Also it is higher I think for those who have paid enough NI.

Also as pointed out if you paying rent then you would get HB on top of that, plus council tax relief (which the elderly have protected rates like the old CTB).

Ultimately now is not the time to be handing out large DSS increases, that applies to everyone from pensioners to young people. This triple lock makes no sense to me at the moment.

Sp2 has now stopped , so if you pay more or the higher rate of NI you get nothing more out of it . I’ve checked my state pension on line and Ive just competes 35 years NI contributions and my SP2 entitlement is £15 a week on top of the £172.50. More money back in the pot I suppose .

Oh I’ve just turned 51 .

Soldato
And Ive said it before and I’ll say it again , a couple on an average wage each can save and buy a property if they want to .The question is will they sacrifice a few years of their life’s luxury’s to do so and the answer Is no . So do I have any sympathy for the younger generation ? ’ll let you answer that .

I came from a real rubbish child hood growing up in east London , I just got on with it .

The young have plenty of life opportunities, it’s up to them to grab them not the older generation to on a really bad state pension as it is to give it back to them .

Your completely missing the current problem. Yes most couples could afford a house eventually, but with the current house prices still spiralling upwards your going to get to the point where normal couples couldn't even pay off a mortgage in their life!

Soldato
Your completely missing the current problem. Yes most couples could afford a house eventually, but with the current house prices still spiralling upwards your going to get to the point where normal couples couldn't even pay off a mortgage in their life!

Rubbish , again another self enttiled outlook. Its simple move to an area you can afford , i did . Small terraced houses and flats have a ceiling price in most areas ( london is an exception ) you will always find somethng. Google East Tilbury, it's biggest toilet in the world but it's all i could afford to get on the ladder . Took me 10 years to move to a better area and a bigger house.

In fact ill use Swansea as an example for a couple both working 40 hours on mimimum wage.I just found loads of 2 bed terraced house for 90K ( very similar to what i purchased as my first house ). Bargain hard and youll probably bag it for 85K

£85,000 purchase
£8500 10% deposit £2,600 take home pay between you per month , they could save this in 6 months and still rent somewhere to live .
£1000 legals fees
£0 stamp duty

£9500 needed in hard cash savings

2 x wage earners on mimimum wage 80 hours x £8.72 =£ 36,275 a year . I think multiples for couples are 2.5 that's £90,688 but only £76,500 needed as a 10% deposit is required .

Buying a house is not the issue, its young peoples expcetations of houses that is.

Penion poverty is increasing . Its needs rasing not robbing.

Soldato
Rubbish , again another self enttiled outlook. Its simple move to an area you can afford , i did . Small terraced houses and flats have a ceiling price in most areas ( london is an exception ) you will always find somethng. Google East Tilbury, it's biggest toilet in the world but it's all i could afford to get on the ladder . Took me 10 years to move to a better area and a bigger house.

In fact ill use Swansea as an example for a couple both working 40 hours on mimimum wage.I just found loads of 2 bed terraced house for 90K ( very similar to what i purchased as my first house ). Bargain hard and youll probably bag it for 85K

£85,000 purchase
£8500 10% deposit £2,600 take home pay between you per month , they could save this in 6 months and still rent somewhere to live .
£1000 legals fees
£0 stamp duty

£9500 needed in hard cash savings

2 x wage earners on mimimum wage 80 hours x £8.72 =£ 36,275 a year . I think multiples for couples are 2.5 that's £90,688 but only £76,500 needed as a 10% deposit is required .

Buying a house is not the issue, its young peoples expcetations of houses that is.

Penion poverty is increasing . Its needs rasing not robbing.

It's not rubbish, house prices to average salary is increasing, that's a fact. Your still missing the point though, even the houses in the crap places are steadily increasing as well.

See here your example of Swansea

https://www.home.co.uk/guides/house...th=07&startyear=1995&endmonth=07&endyear=2020

As for buying a 2 bed mid terraced. That would fine if the house builders were building a decent amount, but they would rather build 3/4 bed detached as they get a lot more money. Doesn't help that the house builders even miss the targets of the crap Affordable homes target.

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/uk-housebuilders-missed-government-target-new-homes-394719

Back
Top Bottom