Triple-lock on pensions will stay. Pensions will increase when earnings have decreased

Soldato
What a grim, depressing life must be led such that your ideal world is one where people should aspire to live in decrepit rundown ****holes with no job prospects, all so they can get on the debt-train as early as possible.

God forbid people should be able to afford a decent house on an average wage....

Soldato
It's not rubbish, house prices to average salary is increasing, that's a fact. Your still missing the point though, even the houses in the crap places are steadily increasing as well.

See here your example of Swansea

https://www.home.co.uk/guides/house...th=07&startyear=1995&endmonth=07&endyear=2020

As for buying a 2 bed mid terraced. That would fine if the house builders were building a decent amount, but they would rather build 3/4 bed detached as they get a lot more money. Doesn't help that the house builders even miss the targets of the crap Affordable homes target.

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/uk-housebuilders-missed-government-target-new-homes-394719

Currently 50 x 2 bed properties in central Swansea that are 90 k or lower available

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-97731860.html

Do you want me to do it for the 1 bed flats that 50K and upwards .

Last edited:
Soldato
What a grim, depressing life must be led such that your ideal world is one where people should aspire to live in decrepit rundown ****holes with no job prospects, all so they can get on the debt-train as early as possible.

God forbid people should be able to afford a decent house on an average wage....

No one wanst to but its a route to homeownership, Im trying to show it can be done to all the moaners.

Any money discussuion here always come down to people moaning about house prices . It's really not the route of all evils however wage deflation that invaribly will lead to low of no pension fund is ,

Caporegime

That doesn't compute to me.

A decent house should warrant a decent wage.

You can't have receptionists living in 5 bedroom houses in the west end.

As for anyone earning average wage they can buy an average flat in an average area or if they are a couple an average house in an average area.

Your opinion seems very entitled.

My grandad came to this country with nothing. He travelled from one side of the planet to the other leaving his wife and kids behind. He worked in factories and then as a bus driver before eventually buying his first business.

That's the real problem. Kids these days want it all but are the last person willing to pick up a shovel and do some hard graft.

There's a **** head who lives in my street with his parents and drives a £40k car at a very young age. He refuses to move out even though he's trashed his parents home and neighbors property on numerous occasions when his parents go away on holiday and he throws a party.

If he didn't have that car he could easily afford to buy a flat somewhere but as long as he keeps frittering money away on drink, drugs and luxuries he will never have his own place.

Soldato
No one wanst to but its a route to homeownership, Im trying to show it can be done to all the moaners.

Any money discussuion here always come down to people moaning about house prices . It's really not the route of all evils however wage deflation that invaribly will lead to low of no pension fund is ,

As for anyone earning average wage they can buy an average flat in an average area or if they are a couple an average house in an average area.

My grandad came to this country with nothing. He travelled from one side of the planet to the other leaving his wife and kids behind. He worked in factories and then as a bus driver before eventually buying his first business.

That's the real problem. Kids these days want it all but are the last person willing to pick up a shovel and do some hard graft.

There's a **** head who lives in my street with his parents and drives a £40k car at a very young age. He refuses to move out even though he's trashed his parents home and neighbors property on numerous occasions when his parents go away on holiday and he throws a party.

If he didn't have that car he could easily afford to buy a flat somewhere but as long as he keeps frittering money away on drink, drugs and luxuries he will never have his own place.

I can afford a house comfortably. But I'm not an average person, on an average salary.

When I am old and past it, I'd like to know that the people earning minimum wage wiping my arse aren't living in abject poverty because we still have a broken housing market.

Some people seem to mistake empathy, for entitlement.

Soldato
Currently 50 x 2 bed properties in central Swansea that are 90 k or lower available

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-97731860.html

Do you want me to do it for the 1 bed flats that 50K and upwards .

So not going to discuss the points I posted and just point at houses?
Also you do know that house is going up for auction and that's just the guide price?
Also if you look at the properties sold nearby button on the right there's a handy guide to see how much even these cheap houses have gone up the past few years.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-p...0000&maxPrice=100000&minBedrooms=3&radius=0.5

Soldato

Except wage deflation is only a 'thing' because of the inflation of housing costs..

Except right across the country they can't, and you're talking complete nonsense. Average house price to average wage in the UK is 8x. https://www.emoov.co.uk/reality-gap-uk-property-costs-eight-times-average-wage/

Old, boring, and completely false argument.

When I am old and past it, I'd like to know that the people earning minimum wage wiping my arse aren't living in abject poverty because we still have a broken housing market.
Exactly. For everyone saying "there's no issue" what exactly do they think young people are going to do when they can never get on the property ladder, get to 80 years old and want to retire yet still need to pay extortionate rent. It's going to be an absolute calamity. Stupid boomers in one breath complaining they can't survive with care when they've got a paid-off house to cash-in, triple-lock pension etc. I'd like them to stop and think what it's going to be like for their grandchildren.

Soldato
OP

So your solution is, go live where nobody wants to live?

You know, you can buy a house in some parts of the world for £500 too. #StopMoaning

Soldato

Like button , to many entitled idiots around that want it on a plate . Seems a lot are on here .

Soldato
So not going to discuss the points I posted and just point at houses?
Also you do know that house is going up for auction and that's just the guide price?
Also if you look at the properties sold nearby button on the right there's a handy guide to see how much even these cheap houses have gone up the past few years.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/sa5-8qn.html?backListLink=/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1383160&minPrice=80000&maxPrice=100000&minBedrooms=3&radius=0.5

What your point being that house prices keep going up beyond wages increases and no one can afford them , it’s an argument I’ve heard all my life and my first house was purchased in 1992 . Some areas it’s true ( London ) but in most cases it just rubbish .

I’ve given you an example that you have tried to tell me was not workable , FYI it was just one I clicked on out of nearly 50 and I never drilled down into what it was but it’s a an example of a house in your area that as a couple on minimum wage can buy. Just throw into r/m houses in Swansea between 70 and 90 K . There is even a flat for 45k that’s not a retirement one - if I expanded out to 5 miles the choice becomes vast for that money .

If you can’t afford a house in your area then either save more money , get a better job or move . Stop boo hooing and do some thing about it .

Robbing old age pensioners of their state pension is just not on .

Associate
What your point being that house prices keep going up beyond wages increases and no one can afford them , it’s an argument I’ve heard all my life and my first house was purchased in 1992 . Some areas it’s true ( London ) but in most cases it just rubbish .

I’ve given you an example that you have tried to tell me was not workable , FYI it was just one I clicked on out of nearly 50 and I never drilled down into what it was but it’s a an example of a house in your area that as a couple on minimum wage can buy. Just throw into r/m houses in Swansea between 70 and 90 K . There is even a flat for 45k that’s not a retirement one - if I expanded out to 5 miles the choice becomes vast for that money .

If you can’t afford a house in your area then either save more money , get a better job or move . Stop boo hooing and do some thing about it .

Robbing old age pensioners of their state pension is just not on .

The problem with that argument is that the places to live need to be close to places of employment that pay enough to pay for the mortgage. There are plenty of places in rural Scotland and Wales that are very cheap, but can you live there and earn the salary that is required for the mortgage is the greater issue.

No one is talking about robbing pensioners. To rob someone would imply that they have owned it to begin with. The current pensioners have not paid enough to cover their own retirement and therefore need the working generation to support them. The workers are complaining about supporting a group in retirement through a system that is not sustainable and likely to not exist for those paying in the most when it comes time to retirement. That is the problem with this system and an unprecedented increase (predicted 18%) at a time of mass economic upheaval that will likely see mass unemployment with massive demands on the social support system seems completely nonsensical.

Soldato
The problem with that argument is that the places to live need to be close to places of employment that pay enough to pay for the mortgage. There are plenty of places in rural Scotland and Wales that are very cheap, but can you live there and earn the salary that is required for the mortgage is the greater issue.

No one is talking about robbing pensioners. To rob someone would imply that they have owned it to begin with. The current pensioners have not paid enough to cover their own retirement and therefore need the working generation to support them. The workers are complaining about supporting a group in retirement through a system that is not sustainable and likely to not exist for those paying in the most when it comes time to retirement. That is the problem with this system and an unprecedented increase (predicted 18%) at a time of mass economic upheaval that will likely see mass unemployment with massive demands on the social support system seems completely nonsensical.

He can't grasp the simple concept of house prices are going up compared to wage so what's the point? Even in these low income areas, those house are still relatively cheap but have increased over the years, Right Move shows these prices.

Soldato
OP
He can't grasp the simple concept of house prices are going up compared to wage so what's the point? Even in these low income areas, those house are still relatively cheap but have increased over the years, Right Move shows these prices.

Even looking at the 10th percentile of house prices versus minimum wage, house prices have outgrown it more than 2:1 over the last 25 years. People who keep saying house prices are not a problem are actively choosing to ignore the facts, for personal gain or whatever other reason.

Caporegime

It's a viewpoint that seems to be somewhat unique to this country.

Seems people think Victorian era struggle and poverty is the best way to "breed character" or something.

Meanwhile most of Europe is confused as hell why we'd put up with this ****.

Soldato
Some areas it’s true ( London ) but in most cases it just rubbish .
*ding ding* We have another that doesn't understand the facts :rolleyes: Congratulations…

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/.../lloyds-bank-affordable-cities-2019-final.pdf
mtd3Exx.png

Woops, looks like Oxford, Chichester, Winchester and Truro are all more unaffordable than Greater London. And Bath and Cambridge are tied… Oh and I'm sure ( :rolleyes: ) that the step down to 9.7, 9.6, 9.3 and 9.1 for the remaining cities shown really make it that much easier for people.

EDIT: Oh sorry I see you found a £45k flat in Swansea. I stand corrected. Absolute lols from this end of the stadium, Graham :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
It's a viewpoint that seems to be somewhat unique to this country.

Seems people think Victorian era struggle and poverty is the best way to "breed character" or something.

Meanwhile most of Europe is confused as hell why we'd put up with this ****.

I hate to be the one to say it, but unless we have serious reforms that rights the wrongs done to young people in recent decades, at some point young people will lash out at the system and it won't be pretty.

Caporegime
Wanting affordable housing?
That sounds like entitlement to me. :p
And some of these whiners actually want to eat whilst they save for a deposit!! Have they never heard of sacrificing for something they really want?

They only need to live in complete misery for 10 years to put down a 5% deposit, what's the problem?

Back
Top Bottom