Triple-lock on pensions will stay. Pensions will increase when earnings have decreased

Soldato
Someone did who was against pensioners getting a rise when I mentioned £7k is abysmal per year for a pension. They then said they get other top ups if for housing, etc if they rent

Why does the choice need to be one or the other?

Why can't pensioners get a rise? Coronavirus has killed off a lot of them in care homes so the government have likely saved themselves a chunk of money right there.

It was me, I see no reason why pensions should be treated different to working age people who cannot work, especially when it involves getting many multiples of inflation at a time, when the government is facing chaos. In all honestly it boggles my mind, with everything going on why someone has in their mind "I want more money" we have far bigger problems than money at the moment. We could be having several million more people added to the DWP list in the next year or so, think about that. The same people asking for these pension increases may be the one's constantly telling people the reason they wont vote labour because the books have to be balanced, does that financial rule get discarded when it comes to the pension bill?

Soldato
So your solution is, go live where nobody wants to live?

You know, you can buy a house in some parts of the world for £500 too. #StopMoaning

Detroit was the go to place for property bargains, but now emerging markets such as Darfur are proving attractive to the savvy home buyer.

Caporegime
Someone did who was against pensioners getting a rise when I mentioned £7k is abysmal per year for a pension. They then said they get other top ups if for housing, etc if they rent

Why does the choice need to be one or the other?

Why can't pensioners get a rise? Coronavirus has killed off a lot of them in care homes so the government have likely saved themselves a chunk of money right there.

Because it will cost everybody else £1500 per year each for next year, then £1537.50 then £1574.92 etc.

And we have already spent so much on Covid, and Brexit and because of Covid treasury income will be well down but you think its a good idea to put such a massive tax increase on those people working?

Or perhaps you were thinking of cutting some services. Maybe make rubbish collection once a month.

Soldato
*ding ding* We have another that doesn't understand the facts :rolleyes: Congratulations…

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/.../lloyds-bank-affordable-cities-2019-final.pdf
mtd3Exx.png

Woops, looks like Oxford, Chichester, Winchester and Truro are all more unaffordable than Greater London. And Bath and Cambridge are tied… Oh and I'm sure ( :rolleyes: ) that the step down to 9.7, 9.6, 9.3 and 9.1 for the remaining cities shown really make it that much easier for people.

EDIT: Oh sorry I see you found a £45k flat in Swansea. I stand corrected. Absolute lols from this end of the stadium, Graham :rolleyes:

Sad to see Bristol so low on the list. A paltry ratio of 9.1 explains why everyone owns at least two houses each here.

Soldato
*ding ding* We have another that doesn't understand the facts :rolleyes: Congratulations…

https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/.../lloyds-bank-affordable-cities-2019-final.pdf
mtd3Exx.png

Woops, looks like Oxford, Chichester, Winchester and Truro are all more unaffordable than Greater London. And Bath and Cambridge are tied… Oh and I'm sure ( :rolleyes: ) that the step down to 9.7, 9.6, 9.3 and 9.1 for the remaining cities shown really make it that much easier for people.

EDIT: Oh sorry I see you found a £45k flat in Swansea. I stand corrected. Absolute lols from this end of the stadium, Graham :rolleyes:

I quoted Swansea as the guy who questioned me for saying property was not affordable for folk to get on the housing ladder lived in Swansea , the working example was for a couple of minim wage .I’m also sure just as you quoted unaffordable places to live I could quote as many affordable places to live and probably on said minimum wage as well. Admittedly i should have said the South East .

My real point was I see to many self entitled youngsters blaming the generation before them - but it seems that’s par for the course on here at the moment .

FYI - My house is in 9.3 , I have 2 X BTL in 10.3 not sure about my 2 others and we are thinking of moving to 11.1 or St Mawes .

Soldato
Where does this phrase self entitled youngsters come from and what justifies it?

Because if we look at the facts, such as affordability of housing, access to social housing, access to social security, university fees, cost of living, they all not good compared to the 1960s. My dad is an honest person, he is a baby boomer, and he says he dont know how he would have coped in todays world.

A 70 year old moaning about people objecting to a inflation busting pension rise may also fail to realise someone who is 30 today will be expected to work full time when they 70 and be getting "no" pension, not £70 but £0.

Soldato
Well that explains everything. Jog on, I've no time for people who are making money out of this crisis :rolleyes:

And you have the gall to call people entitled :rolleyes:

Thought that might get your goat , what’s even worse is I’m about to buy 2 more as well .

And how did I get to having a small property portfolio , well low and behold I bought that a S hole of a 2 bed terraced house in East Tilbury that you all describe and grafted for the next 30 years . Oh and I didn’t moan about the baby boomers before me that had gold plated final salary pensions and even cheaper houses than I bought .

Surprisingly enough I just got on with it - bye .

Caporegime
Thought that might get your goat , what’s even worse is I’m about to buy 2 more as well .

And how did I get to having a small property portfolio , well low and behold I bought that a S hole of a 2 bed terraced house in East Tilbury that you all describe and grafted for the next 30 years . Oh and I didn’t moan about the baby boomers before me that had gold plated final salary pensions and even cheaper houses than I bought .

No you had more opportunities and wealth than the generation before you and likewise they did as well. We are now at the first generation where they are going to be poorer than their parents.

Selfish smug entitled people like you are why the young get so ******* off and I can understand why,

Soldato

Generation before you had to fight a world war, and the one before them one as well. Dont try to claim they had it easier than you, not to mention the social housing mass build started after WW2.

Caporegime
I can afford a house comfortably. But I'm not an average person, on an average salary.

When I am old and past it, I'd like to know that the people earning minimum wage wiping my arse aren't living in abject poverty because we still have a broken housing market.

Some people seem to mistake empathy, for entitlement.

Maybe you should Google nurses salaries. You might be surprised

Soldato
Nothing wrong with investment so long as they are risking private capital, that is basically how its supposed to work. Interest rates being so low will blow up one day but not sure Im blaming anyone in particular for that.

I see no reason why pensions should be treated different
Pensions are paid for over the course of decades is probably a large part of why its different. They do soft default on pension payouts anyhow as the entitlement age is raised, some will barely get to pension age before passing on

Caporegime
Because it will cost everybody else £1500 per year each for next year, then £1537.50 then £1574.92 etc.

And we have already spent so much on Covid, and Brexit and because of Covid treasury income will be well down but you think its a good idea to put such a massive tax increase on those people working?

Or perhaps you were thinking of cutting some services. Maybe make rubbish collection once a month.

My rubbish collection is already once every 3 weeks they may as well make it once a month.

I pay like £300 a month in council tax too for the privilege.

Caporegime
Except wage deflation is only a 'thing' because of the inflation of housing costs..

Except right across the country they can't, and you're talking complete nonsense. Average house price to average wage in the UK is 8x. https://www.emoov.co.uk/reality-gap-uk-property-costs-eight-times-average-wage/

Old, boring, and completely false argument.

Exactly. For everyone saying "there's no issue" what exactly do they think young people are going to do when they can never get on the property ladder, get to 80 years old and want to retire yet still need to pay extortionate rent. It's going to be an absolute calamity. Stupid boomers in one breath complaining they can't survive with care when they've got a paid-off house to cash-in, triple-lock pension etc. I'd like them to stop and think what it's going to be like for their grandchildren.

It's funny how everyone I know literally owns their own house.

I only know of 1 guy at work who is renting everyone else owns their own home.

Also the problem seems to be restricted to England and the south of England mainly.

Scotland and Wales look fine on there.

Guess where I am?

Soldato
OP
It's funny how everyone I know literally owns their own house.

I only know of 1 guy at work who is renting everyone else owns their own home.

Also the problem seems to be restricted to England and the south of England mainly.

Scotland and Wales look fine on there.

Guess where I am?

Seems like you’re in your own bubble and don’t know what life is like for young people in the country then.

Back
Top Bottom