Tropicial Fish - Advice Please

Associate
Calling all tropicial fish experts !

I'm looking into starting a small setup in my flat. However space is limited, so would a 23L tank be big enough ?

Also what fish are best to start with ? if anyone would post their current tank setups, I would love to see them ;)

Soldato
Is 23l big enough for what? It depends what you want to keep. I would advise having a look at types of livestock before you choose a tank because if this will dictate what you are able to keep. :)

Also, it is the surface area that is important, you could have a tall 23l tank which is tall but thin so you would be able to keep less in that than a shallower tank with a larger surface area. The bigger the surface area, the more oxygen.

Soldato
With tropical fish the general rule is 1cm of fish (fully grown) to each litre of water so you could have 23cm of fish. Have you thought about a corner tank btw if space is a problem? Or one of those bio orb things?

Heres a list of fish recommended for beginners:

# Livebearers – Very common, ideal first fish, easy to breed (Guppy, Platy, Swordtail)
# Tetras – Small, peaceful, shoaling, ideal community fish (Neon Tetra, Glowlight Tetra)
# Danios – Hardy & active shoaling fish (Zebra Danio, Pearl Danio)
# Barbs & Rasboras – Colourful and active fish, please note some types can be a little aggressive and nip the fins of other fish (Harlequin, Cherry Barb)
# Rainbowfish – Stunning colours, active and peaceful shoaling fish (Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, Boesemani Rainbowfish)
# Loaches – Most species are small, peaceful, and a good addition to any aquarium (Zebra Loach, Dwarf Chain Loach, Kuhli Loach)

Soldato
23L is absolutely tiny. Although there are 1 or 2 species fo fish that'll be OK in something like that you should really try and go larger. Bigger tanks are also more forgiving on water quality and making mistakes.

Also make sure you read up on 'fishless cycling', as it'll save you lots of headache in the long run.

Oh, and don;t believe a word of advice the man in the fish shop gives you, 9 times out of 10 they say whatever they need to to make money.

You'll be bale to get far more comprehensive advice over on http://www.fishforums.net, go there and learn!

Associate
23L is absolutely tiny. Although there are 1 or 2 species fo fish that'll be OK in something like that you should really try and go larger. Bigger tanks are also more forgiving on water quality and making mistakes.

Also make sure you read up on 'fishless cycling', as it'll save you lots of headache in the long run.

Oh, and don;t believe a word of advice the man in the fish shop gives you, 9 times out of 10 they say whatever they need to to make money.

You'll be bale to get far more comprehensive advice over on http://www.fishforums.net, go there and learn!

I agree 23l is tiny. You could go for
cherry shrimp (5 or so)
1 male betta

I got my gallons and litres mixed up so have changed my idea some what

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom