Trouble booting from sata card with IDE hard disk attached

Associate
Hi there.

i've got an Abit motherboard with two Belkin stat pci cards attached to it. I've installed windows on one hard disk attached to the pci card and it boots ok on its own (when i tell the bios to boot from "LS120").

Problem is now i want to connect an ide disk to the computer, and when i do it always boots from it (it has an older instalaltion on it). If i make all three boot devices to LS120 and tell it not to boot from other devices it just says insert boot device.

if boot from other devices is enabled then it always boots the ide hard disk.

anyone have any ideas?

Commissario
You need to tell the bios to boot from cd/dvd, then "other" or "scsi" iirc don't tell it to boot from a hdd at all in the main bios..

At the moment it's trying to boot from it's own interfaces rather than the sata card (which is normal, as it needs to hand over the boot to the sata card).

Associate
OP
There are three boot priorities, 1st 2nd and third.

I've made 1st floppy, and 2nd cdrom and the 3rd LS120
Without the IDE disk attached this will boot from the PCI card only if the "boot other devices" option is enabled. (i.e. LS120 isn't the PCI card at all). if "boot otehr devices" is disabled it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE< INSERT SYSTEM DISK".

as soon as i conect the IDE disk with "boot other devices" enabled it tried to boot from that (even though I have now formatted it so it doesn't contain an operating system) and says "missing operating system".

it seems there's no way in the BIOS to compeltely disable booting from the IDE disks.

Associate
OP
Works now, for some reason it was looking for the cd rom to boot even though there was nothing in there. if i set all three to LS120 and enable boot other device it works fine :)

strane behaviour though but i guess sata wasn't out when this motherboard was made so they were never to know

Back
Top Bottom