Trouble mounting EK Supremacy Evo

Associate
As the title says, I'm having trouble getting a good mount with my newly purchased supremacy evo.

I'm mounting to an i7 2700k on a gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3.

I've had most of the hardware for a number of years now and just added an extra radiator for silent cooling and changed from the trusty old Antec p182se case to the Fractal Define R6.

So I stripped it all down and rebuilt everything meticulously, giving everything a good cleanup and dusting.

I leak tested the water cooling and bled the system and all was good, but when it came to booting up I checked temperatures and found that the cpu was idling at about 40c with spikes to 65c. I ran Intel burn best for about 10 seconds before several of the cores hit 90c so I stopped it and shut down to investigate.
I couldn't see anything wrong so drained and stripped everything to remount the cpu block and found it had very poor contact with the cpu.
I've tried remounting a few times and seem to get almost the exact same result each time.
I can't see any warping/distortion in the cpu or waterblock so I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong with the mounting.

Please see the attached photos.

Oh and I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut TIM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Associate
That's weird - EK specifically lists physical compatibility with the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (Rev. 1.0) for both the EVO & MX.

Are the nylon spacers under the four legs supposed to be there?

Man of Honour
The nylon spacers are supposed to be there as they prevent damage to the board.

It looks like uneven mounting pressure. Rather basic but how are you tightening the block down? Diagonally opposite corners a bit at a time until all four screws are as tight as they will go?

Associate
I know you're not stupid, but we have to rule this out: have you definitely screwed each corner down hard enough and made sure the springs are in place and compressed?

Associate
OP
Yeah it's all very weird and thanks for all the feedback, but I think I've found the solution!

I was browsing forums for someone who might have the same problem and came across http://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...-ek-supremacy-evo.html#/topics/1625384?page=3

It would appear that the capacitors near the cpu socket, to the left, conflict with the mounting of the waterblock.
So taking advice from that thread, I put the waterblock on, tilting so the block slides next to the capacitors and sure enough, once I tightened it up, and then removed it, the tim spread looked perfect! (I forgot to take a photo sorry).
I've got to wait until tomorrow for new coolant to arrive so I'll update with thermals when I get the pc up and running again. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom