True or anti vaxer BS?

Soldato
The CDC admitted that between 1055 & 1963, over 98 million Americans one or more doses of Polio shot that was contaminated with a virus causing cancer called Simian Vacuolating Virus 40 (SV40), seems like a anti vaxer scare tactic. Although the US gov., does a bunch they never really tell us. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/23/us/study-is-unsure-on-tainted-polio-vaccine-s-cancer-role.html my mom does have a tumor on her head & I think she got the shot. She went to a Dermatologist, but they said don't worry. Not thinking they would really know. The Covid thing is a big worry though, so we try to stay home. Hopefully Biden will care about getting cases down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't read the story because it's behind a registration wall and I'm not going to register. But it's the New York Times so the vaccine was probably US specific and probably not used here (maybe). The headline also indicates they are unsure whether there is a risk of cancer. So the likelihood is that your mum did not get the tumour from that vaccine.

Commissario
I'm going to guess that it's being blown out of all proportion by the anti vaxxor crowd - besides anything else the modern vaccines are made differently to those in 1955, and to higher standards.

There is also always the questions about "could cause cancer" (well yes, so can thousands of things you come into contact with every day), and how many lives were saved by the vaccine.
Polio was a real killer, and left far, far more with life long problems, so even if 1 in 10k people who had the vaccine developed cancer within 30 years of the jab because of it, it would still have saved far more lives than were lost, and had a far better outcome (even at say 1 in 1000 it would likely have worked out as a positive, Polio is nasty*).
If Polio was still around today, even knowing that issue, I'd be jumping at the chance of that vaccine if there wasn't a better one.

People don't seem to realise exactly how bad polio was, largely because the vaccine came in far enough back that most people these days are unlikely to have first hand experience of it, or not realise how many of the people they might have seen when young who had disabilities owed them to polio. IIRC at one point it was in short supply so only every other child got the vaccine - and many families had stories of the children that were not in the vaccine group, and got it and died or were left disabled.

*IIRC it was about 3% fatality in children and up to 20% in adults who caught it, with many more left disabled.

Associate
The CDC admitted that between 1055 & 1963, over 98 million Americans one or more doses of Polio shot that was contaminated with a virus causing cancer called Simian Vacuolating Virus 40 (SV40), seems like a anti vaxer scare tactic. Although the US gov., does a bunch they never really tell us. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/23/us/study-is-unsure-on-tainted-polio-vaccine-s-cancer-role.html my mom does have a tumor on her head & I think she got the shot. She went to a Dermatologist, but they said don't worry. Not thinking they would really know. The Covid thing is a big worry though, so we try to stay home. Hopefully Biden will care about getting cases down.

TgATfpD.gif

Associate
covid vaccines about to rolled out...check
antivax crowd growing....check
media scaremongering with a story from the 1960s....check
nytimes.....katching!

Caporegime
I can't read the story because it's behind a registration wall and I'm not going to register. But it's the New York Times so the vaccine was probably US specific and probably not used here (maybe). The headline also indicates they are unsure whether there is a risk of cancer. So the likelihood is that your mum did not get the tumour from that vaccine.

Noscript. ;)

The polio vaccine used in the United States from 1955 to 1963 has long been known to have been contaminated with a cancer-causing monkey virus, but even after years of study it is not clear whether the vaccine is linked to any cancers in people, scientists reported yesterday.

Still, if the vaccine does contribute to cancer, it is highly unlikely to cause more than an extremely small increase in the risk for certain rare types, the scientists say.

The possibility of a cancer connection has worried some researchers because the vaccine, made in monkey cells, was found in 1960 to be contaminated with a monkey virus called simian virus 40, or SV40. The tainted vaccine was never recalled. It may have been given to 10 million to 30 million Americans, researchers say. Vaccines made after 1961 were free of the virus.

SV40 can cause cancer in rodents and in cultured human cells. It has been found in some tumors taken from cancer patients.

But finding the virus in a tumor does not prove that it caused the tumor. Most large population studies have not found a higher cancer risk in people exposed to the vaccine. There is no blood test that can tell whether a person is infected with SV40, and there are no special steps to take to prevent the rare cancers being studied, researchers said.

So yes the vaccine was contaminated, but virtually no chance of it causing cancer...

Soldato
Noscript is amazing, gets rid of so much crap companies put on their websites. Unlike with adblockers there is no way they can get round it either :D

But yea, how can a vaccine cause cancer lol

Back
Top Bottom