trying to backup my Desire on Win7

Underboss
Hi guys

I could use some help

I just downloaded the HTC Sync program, so that i can backup my phone

I use Windows 7 64bit

and i want to back up my contacts (people) but it is greyed out and i cant turn it on, it will only back up pictures, no documents or music either

any ideas?

Soldato
Are your contacts saved in the SIM or via Google (Gmail)?

In Privacy Settings I have Back Up My Data & Automatic Restore turned on so that when I reflash the ROM when it finds the Gmail apps it restores all my settings.

Pictures and files I just USB transfer to a folder on my PC.

Associate
You should probably change that, moving your contacts to Google is massively convenient, and will eliminate this little problem for future upgrades.

Soldato
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm hitting the same problem here!

I want to backup ALL my user data on my HTC Desire C, but no single program seems to lets me do this. All I want is something simple like Nokia's Ovi Suite backup solution, without having to upload my data to various websites and companies for God knows what use.

Soldato
What kind of data is it?

I just connect my phone via USB, switch USB connection on and copy everything from sdcard to a folder on PC. Then when I have rebuilt my phone I just copy what I need over.

I only backup pics, music and any other media.

Everything else is backed up via Google Services on the phone so that when I log back in it syncs everything.

Underboss
OP
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm hitting the same problem here!

I want to backup ALL my user data on my HTC Desire C, but no single program seems to lets me do this. All I want is something simple like Nokia's Ovi Suite backup solution, without having to upload my data to various websites and companies for God knows what use.

not an old thread at all, i was just wating for a reply to my question as i still cant back up

phone is playing up a bit , so i need to back up really

Associate
To get your contacts to google, go into people and press menu > Import/Export and Export your phone contacts to SD-Card. Then Import your contacts from SD-Card to google - this will take a little while. Then hide the phone contacts via display contacts (untick any tickboxes under phone and sim).

Install SMS Backup+ and follow the instructions to link it to your google account, then backup your SMS to gmail.

Once all the above is complete, plug in your handset, switch to disk drive mode via the notification bar at the top > USB Mode and copy everything from your memory card to a folder on your desktop or wherever.

Your contacts and SMS messages are on google, your pictures/music/downloads and <some> app settings will be in the backup folder your computer.

Underboss
OP
To get your contacts to google, go into people and press menu > Import/Export and Export your phone contacts to SD-Card. Then Import your contacts from SD-Card to google - this will take a little while. Then hide the phone contacts via display contacts (untick any tickboxes under phone and sim)..

its only backing up 28 contacts and not all 66 :confused:

Associate
Do the same for sim and phone contacts too, that should grab them all. When you come to restore, sign into your gmail account on the handset and import from sdcard to google.

Login to the google website on a computer and merge the duplicate contacts - it will take a few minutes to sync on your phone but you will have one list of contacts, on google with no duplicates.

Back
Top Bottom