trying to build a family pc for 300 quid

Associate
I have been lurking on these forums for a while now as i plan to get an i5 gaming rig on the go at the end of the month (student loans :D), anyway my family computer has died and is now 6 years old. It has stopped posting and i tried all the usual solutions on here and to no avail. I have only been checking up on i5/i7 setups and amd quadcores so I am not too sure about dual core pentium processors and their mobos.

The system will be mainly used for surfing the web, listening to music, and playing the odd computer game COD4/5 and my brother plays wow.

Basically im wanting to spend around £300 on this new system which is a tower only no OS and no peripheralsand no monitor. I have come up with this but I am not sure on a few things if I am honest. The mobo, are there better options available? The ram same again or should I be looking to get 4 gig instead of 2? and finally the graphics card, will this run COD4/wow.
Will i need a thermal compound with this aswell?

Thanks in advance

300squid.jpg

Soldato
Looks fine to me. An AMD setup would probably be cheaper, but if you feel more comfortable going with what you know that's not a problem.

There are better mobos, of course. Depends what you want to use it for. Same goes with the RAM. If your family play crysis, I might recommend another 2GB and several other upgrades, otherwise it's not really worth it at the moment. COD4 and WoW would run. COD4's engine is ancient now, that shouldn't be a prob, and WoW is more CPU orientated, and the dual core there should manage it fine.

You'll get a thermal pad on the stock cooler, but since you've put a freezer 7 on there get youself some Arctic Silver 5 to go with it. Make sure you follow the instructions precisely when you apply it though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check out the 500gb hdd, you can get one for only a few quid more.

I would still get an aftermarket cooler (stock coolers can be noisey). This is very good for the money, although can be a bit of a pain to fit.

Think that mobo only supplies 1.8v to the RAM, so you may not get 4-4-4-15 Timings.
Also if you do get that mobo, it only has 2 slots for RAM so you may be better getting 4gig now

Back
Top Bottom