Trying to build decent Vista PC for around £600, any advice?

Associate
Hi everyone :)

I have a component list for what I believe is a pretty good Vista PC, but I wonder if you could help me cut some corners.

I dont really want to play games, or do any massive media intensive work, but do need power for graphic design and running some VMs as well as general stuff.

This is what I have as keepers (no NOT really want to change this):

CASE/POWER:
Antec P180
Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU

The rest (I WANT this but think its a little over the top):

BOARD/CHIP/FAN:
Asus P5b Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz)
Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7

RAM:
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400

GFX:
Asus 7600GS SILENT 512MB

HARD DRIVE:
Maxtor STM3250820AS 250GB 7200rpm

CD/DVD:
Sony AW-G170AB2 18xDVD±RW/RAM

Thats about it.

I have a budget of around £600 but this goes just over.

I like the board (P5B) but am willing to change, I would like to also keep with a Core2Duo chip.

As for RAM, I have no idea if I am paying over the odds but Crosshair have a decent following.

GFX is pretty good and quiet, but is it too much seen as I will rarely if ever play games?

If you have anything to add, post something :)

Man of Honour
Welcome to the forums. I'd probably change from the Corsair to the Geil PC6400 as it is cheaper and is also rated as PC6400 so will overclock as well. I might also change the hard drive from a Maxtor to a Seagate 7200.10 or alternatively a Samsung if silence is particularly important.

I'd stick with the graphics card, it isn't that much of a saving to go for a cheaper one and it should handle Vista's effects with ease. :)

Associate
OP
semi-pro waster said:
Welcome to the forums. I'd probably change from the Corsair to the Geil PC6400 as it is cheaper and is also rated as PC6400 so will overclock as well. I might also change the hard drive from a Maxtor to a Seagate 7200.10 or alternatively a Samsung if silence is particularly important.

I'd stick with the graphics card, it isn't that much of a saving to go for a cheaper one and it should handle Vista's effects with ease. :)

Yeh, I think I am pretty well stuck with the GFX card, it seems nice and best of all quiet!

Any ideas on the Mobo? The Delux P5B is a little overkill, however the standard P5B is not really that much cheaper.

Soldato
First off I would recommend leaving the RAM as its pretty much the same price as the OCUK value. Anybody else have an opinion?

The Maxtor I would recommend you dispose of in favour perhaps a Samsung or Hitachi, or if you can stretch to a Seagate.

The graphics you could step down to a 6200 or 7300.

There are cheaper C2D M/B's and CPU's but if you want the 4MB L2 Cache you should stick with the 6600.

Soldato
It's a solid board, keep it. Maybe drop to an E4300 or E6300 - lots of savings and I bet you wouldn't tell the difference in real life... and that's before considering overclocking.

Associate
In the short run you might want to look at an ATI x1650pro for Vista as it does have far better drivers out currently. Mind you nVidia should catch up soon but it may save some problems during the initial install.

Soldato
Recommendations above are reasonable - as this is a work related PC do you HAVE to go Vista for testing purposes?

I would get as much graphics horsepower as you can if I were you - you may not need it for your actual work but vista is a lot more pleasant to work with by default with horsepower under it. Also being a developer I have seen people recommend 3GB of RAM being a sweetspot - but this could just be one opinion

Its early days and one dodgy driver could scupper the performance of your whole pc so unless you have to go Vista I wouldnt if I were you (I have gone vista out of interest and having to get used to it and support it for my job)

Associate
If your planning to get such a great case, Surely overclocking wouldn't go amiss. A 4300 or 6300 with an aftermarket cooler would be fantastic and represent a saving of about 70 pounds.

Associate
OP
gumbald said:
Why that PSU?

Well, its quiet and is 85% energy efficient :) when my current PC is left on overnight my electricity bills are sky high! I am after running this one 24/7

FrankJH said:
I would get as much graphics horsepower as you can if I were you - you may not need it for your actual work but vista is a lot more pleasant to work with by default with horsepower under it. Also being a developer I have seen people recommend 3GB of RAM being a sweetspot - but this could just be one opinion

Dont you think the 7600GS is enough? I think its overkill personally, surely Vista doesnt need more than this to run all the snazzy stuff?

As for RAM, I will probably slowly upgrade to 3/4gb but for now can only afford the starting 2gb.

mattpj said:
If your planning to get such a great case, Surely overclocking wouldn't go amiss. A 4300 or 6300 with an aftermarket cooler would be fantastic and represent a saving of about 70 pounds.

What do you think about the Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7? Would that be suitible for some decent overclocking? Again, I lust after quiet so nothing too noisey if you have any other ideas,,, ;)

Back
Top Bottom