Trying to clone drive but fails

Associate
Trying to clone an m.2 drive from one running to one in a usb enclosure but it keeps failing, tried a coulpe programes. Is there any way to tell if its the enclosure or the new drive?

any if anyone has advice on how to clone the drive it would be most welcome.

Associate
OP
it fails by the cloning application saying so and giving an error. device manager sees the drive fine. and yes is plugged into usb 3 sockets

Soldato
If you can't directly clone it image it instead.

Image the drive to to somewhere convenient.
Replace the old drive with the new one.
Boot into the Macrium recovery environment.
Restore the image to the new drive.

Associate
OP
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50exhuio7ig4fwo/2018-11-16 15.36.55.jpg?dl=0
2018-11-16%2015.36.55.jpg

Soldato
Your correct it isn't a very helpful message.

Have you tried what I suggested above? It doesn't require the USB enclosure so it removes that as a potential cause.

Soldato
It's a PITA with portables with only one drive interface sometimes. I've had luck removing boot devices and putting them in another PC (not as boot drive) and using Macrium Reflect to clone to another drive (anything big enough to hold the partitions of the source drive) then plugging in a fresh drive and cloning back, before putting the new drive in the laptop/tablet. If that makes sense...

Associate
If you're still trying to clone from one drive to the other, I would suggest checking the new SSD for bad sectors as I did a google for that error you was getting and the first stated that it might be down to bad sectors on the destination drive

Back
Top Bottom