trying to decide, R6, CBR 600 or gsxr 600

Soldato
not a fan of kwaks, they're solid bikes I just dont like the styling.

I'd have another gsxr in a flash, they're bullet proof and easy to get on with.

also a fan of the R6, currently on an 08 which is a cracking bike!

To be honest you wont be disappointed with any of the bikes you have mentioned.

as a curve ball have you looked at the 749?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
how does the suzuki build quality fair with the kawas and hondas, my cbr was built like a bloody tank and everything felt very solid and good quality.

Associate
Suzukis are reliable enough but the quality of the fasteners certainly lets them down, they're not as well engineered as Honda. The bolts sometimes have a tenancy to stretch and potentially snap when used again, sump bolts, clutch basket and cam cover bolts have all given me trouble. I've taken Hondas apart on numerous occasions and the bolts are fine to reuse, often I have to buy a few Suzuki fasteners just in case.

I wouldn't say the finish is poor compared to a kawa looks wise, the fairings have a nice consistent paint finish and don't stand out from the painted metal components. Kawa's from this era have this horrible all-over "shiny plastic" look to them imo, even the tank, it reminds me of early triumphs. New ones are far better finished. The swing arm looks like a builder's ladder though!

If the finish could be objectively knocked in any way, the paint is sometimes a bit thinly applied and the bolts tend to rust a bit more than other bikes. Fork leg finish isn't the most robust either.

Last edited:
Associate
how does yamaha stand up in the finish/build quality?

Pretty good as far as I have seen, there's still lots of good looking original r1/6s about isn't there? :). I can't recall many people having serious issues with them on forums or at bike meets, I think maybe the odd R1 dropping a valve but no frequent issues of any serious nature.

Caporegime
I don't think you can go wrong with anything Japanese

its only minor niggles between the brands,ive clocked up nearly 50k on my zx6r without any major breakdown just consumables so that tells you how good they are

try doing that on an Italian machine

Soldato
I don't think you can go wrong with anything Japanese

its only minor niggles between the brands,ive clocked up nearly 50k on my zx6r without any major breakdown just consumables so that tells you how good they are

try doing that on an Italian machine

Met a biker last year who bought a Cat C ZX6 very cheaply just to use as a commuting machine, he had a garage full of nice bikes that he used at the weekends. He'd put over 120k miles on it with only oil changes and tyres/chain/sprockets.

There is also this guy who has now racked up 261k miles on his CBR600F.

Associate
The only things that really plague Hondas is Reg/rec failures & timing chain rattle due to the camchain tensioner. I replaced mine as soon as I got the bike, 6 months later it rattles again. I had to remove the dust crew for the release screw on the automatic tensioner and twist it in & out a few times (the plunger sticks).

Caporegime
OP
part of me is now thinking just bu ya cheap sub 2k thundercat and save u pfor an awesome bike for next year, cause it's gonna be a commuter an get a bit ****ed.

Caporegime
OP
or maybe an older cbr f4 (maybe even f3), comfy, could take some lugage, I've got experience on it and could get it cheaper.

on the other hand gf just dumped me so lots more spare cash each month so possibly get a truley epic bike as i could afford the insurance better :p

meh i dunno any more :(

Soldato
or maybe an older cbr f4 (maybe even f3), comfy, could take some lugage, I've got experience on it and could get it cheaper.

on the other hand gf just dumped me so lots more spare cash each month so possibly get a truley epic bike as i could afford the insurance better :p

meh i dunno any more :(

Sorry about the break up... now get the 750 it WILL make you feel better :D

Caporegime
OP
settled on a 2005 r6, £2800 it set me back with 7.1k miles on the clock

just picked it up, man is it weird going to this from the er6 i've been riding for the past month.

v4md.jpg

iusb.jpg

why is it whenever i buy a bike it absolutely ****es down on the way home :(

ah well at leas it isnt going to snow tomorrow like last time.

Back
Top Bottom