trying to find a motherboard and cpu to go with this graphics card?

Associate
hi,

trying to find intel cpu,motherboard,memory for my bro please if anyone would help me? we have a budget of £300 but the lower the better if possible.

we already have

550psu
keyboard
mouse
speakers
win7-64bt
Cooler Master K-Series K380 USB3.0 ATX
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ Graphics Card

thanks

Associate
OP
thanks very much for that, thats a good setup and yeah i thought about ryzen before but when i mention gaming most always aim me to intel..

so if i drop it i3 8100 i could save £50!

Soldato
i thought about ryzen before but when i mention gaming most always aim me to intel..

This purely depends on budget now, so with respect it's out-of-date or a bit lazy advice. In mid-to-high range, yes, Intel will get you more frames, particularly at 1080p resolution, at higher resolutions the difference decreases to practically nothing. In low-to-mid range, AMD is better or equal to Intel gaming options and more 'futureproof'. Quad-core Intel (e.g. i3-8350K) should be out of the question now unless playing older games. i5-8400 will do okay but does not have the advantage in games that utilize a lot of cores/threads, and is less 'futureproof' than say an R5 2600. An i5-8400 will run into the same problem that i5-4xxx owners had - having to upgrade sooner than owners of i7-4xxx. And then you're stuck with a budget motherboard that can't really handle a more powerful chip or overclock. For that budget, mobo + RAM + CPU required, AMD is definitely the better option.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £311.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Search youtube for your brother's fave games and benchmarks comparing the processors that are an option (I'd narrow them down to two - i5-8400 or Ryzen 2600).

Associate
OP
This purely depends on budget now, so with respect it's out-of-date or a bit lazy advice. In mid-to-high range, yes, Intel will get you more frames, particularly at 1080p resolution, at higher resolutions the difference decreases to practically nothing. In low-to-mid range, AMD is better or equal to Intel gaming options and more 'futureproof'. Quad-core Intel (e.g. i3-8350K) should be out of the question now unless playing older games. i5-8400 will do okay but does not have the advantage in games that utilize a lot of cores/threads, and is less 'futureproof' than say an R5 2600. An i5-8400 will run into the same problem that i5-4xxx owners had - having to upgrade sooner than owners of i7-4xxx. And then you're stuck with a budget motherboard that can't really handle a more powerful chip or overclock. For that budget, mobo + RAM + CPU required, AMD is definitely the better option.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £311.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Search youtube for your brother's fave games and benchmarks comparing the processors that are an option (I'd narrow them down to two - i5-8400 or Ryzen 2600).

i looked at some vids on tube and based on the games he plays which is very similar to me with gta5 and ark sometimes i think we will be going with this lot,
i do want to thank you both for the help and info its greatly appreciated :)

Soldato
id pull @Danny75 ryzen 2600 over i3 anyday

I built identical systems with i5 8400 and the older ryzen 1600 running gtx 1070ti

EsvOYuM.jpg

i5 8400 pulled ahead of overclocked 3.8ghz (all core) ryzen 1600

at 1080p, i5 should pull ahead but 1440p even game - key is to overclock the ryzen 2600 to 4ghz all cores! should be do-able

prices swap every wednesday 12pm. some are flash sales though

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i5/i5-8400

shows i5 8400 all core boost is 3.8ghz all cores , intel has the stronger IPC hence why it edges out AMD chips , single and dual core performance also wins .
If you dont want to overclock, PUSH the 2600 X version! higher all core and dual core boost!

as for Threads. CORE count will always beat Thread count . why intel 8 core 8 threads matches or beats intel 6 core with 12 threads .
Hyper threading or AMD SMT don't double the processing power, Physical cores are always stronger then Artificial cores. HT/SMT normally over max 15% increase in games unless they are properly used - and there's not to many games that do . Will always quote i7 9700 over 9900k for gaming and push 2600x over 2700x in specs if can push better GPU or other components .

and BOTH platforms are EOL 2020. DDR 5 coming out along with PCIe 5.0 rolling out sooner then expected. PCIe 4.0 is back compatible with 3.0, and like wise with 5.0 to 4.0 .

personally, Intels 8400 is TOO overpriced! but for most software tailored around intel, people will buy it .
intel needs to roll out the i5 9400 quickly and between Ryzen 2600 and 2600x

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah kinda hit a bad time with this build, seeing as the tower might be a little old as the graphics card wont fit which i have never come across before till now :(

the case is Cooler Master K-Series K380 USB3.0 Side Window Case for ATX PC and the problem is in the picture if the link works

https://imgur.com/a/9fVKnwI

if anyone can think of anything i can do besides buying a new tower which would be last resort that would be awesome please?

Associate
OP
one more issue, i got all setup and its running great but i used a ps/2 keyboard to setup win764b and now im at desktop my usb mouse/keyboard wont turn on at all only before windows logo then they go off! ive never seen this happen before do i need a windows fix or something? i have yet to instal board/graphics drivers which is really hard cos i only have a ps/2 keyboard and no mouse lol

Back
Top Bottom