Trying to get audio from receiver to play through tv

Soldato
Okay in my living room I have a PS4, TiVo and Android box all hdmi wired to my av receiver and then to the living room TV over hdmi.The receiver is a Pioneer VX531 and it sends the audio to the speakers.

That's great but now I'm thinking of wiring the receiver to the bedroom TV too so nothing needs moving and we can use TiVo and PS4 in there.

If I run the cable (currently using hdmi over cat5e) to the bedroom TV the speakers in the living room play. I want the audio to play from the TV speakers in the bedroom and bookself ones for living room.

I've tried enabling ARC and using the right ports. I only have one HDMI output ssdly. Would I need an optical out going from the AV to the TV??

Thanks guys!!

Soldato
I’m pretty sure that if your receiver has an option called audio/ video pass through or similar then it’ll work. The receiver won’t need to be turned on and will send on the signal to the TV.

Soldato
My AV amp was the last model before ARC! So I had to connect my QNAP NAS (my media player) to the TV via HDMI and in the TV settings I output TOSLINK (optical) out to the AV AMP.

In my case QNAP to AV then to TV doesn't pass on the video signal so my amp could do with an update to something newer.

Soldato
OP
Okay sorted I went to avoid adjust them HDMI passthrough turned on.

Okay so oveI two displays to hook up to the receiver, can I buy a switch and it'll work?

I'm thinking of getting a Logitech harmony soon too as it'll work with everything. Wonder if there is a way I can control the receiver etc from the bedroom??

Man of Honour
I’m pretty sure that if your receiver has an option called audio/ video pass through or similar then it’ll work. The receiver won’t need to be turned on and will send on the signal to the TV.

@Bluecube is spot on.

Pioneer calls the feature 'Standby Through'. On the VSX-531 it has two active modes. These are;

LAST USED - this does what it says on the tin. When the amp goes in to standby, the last used input is passed through to the HDMI.

(FIXED) - one output is selected as the default. When the amp goes in to standby it switches to this output automatically

There'll be a setup menu for HDMI Out. You'll need to switch on Standby Through then make your choice of mode.

I would suggest LAST as the most useful setting if you want to use any source.

To run like this you'll need to power on the amp, change source, then switch back to standby. If someone is watching TV downstairs when a source selection is made for the bedroom then if the amp isn't muted or at low volume they'll get the fright of their lives :D Also, whatever they were watching will be interrupted, they may even have their viewing hijacked because both TVs will show the same source.

A simple HDMI switch won't help. A HDMI matrix switch might work but could introduce other issues.

Also, I think you'll need something more flexible than a Harmony to control this.

Back
Top Bottom