trying to understand PBO behaviour.. any experts out there?

Associate
so ive had my new monster 3990x workstation a couple of weeks. i thought i had a handle on PBO. probably i dont.. its too clever for me.

if i set the wattage over 400w or the TDC over 325 amps, i get throttling from 3.9 ish down to 500 mhz in hwinfo, or 2.8 if i look at ryzen master. this happens every second or three, for a second or so.

my temps are great, maxing out at around 65 degrees cpu and 55-60 degrees vrm. (asrock creator motherboard)

for now i have it set to TDC 320a and its rock solid stable, and depending on the time of day, direction of wind, and the music on the radio, it boosts stably to 3.6 or 3.8-9..

i thought mobo was defective or incapable of advertised load handling. , then i noticed that in ryzen master "creator mode" the "peak core voltages" is set to 1.18v..

the cpu was hitting that voltage and doing this major throttling. first, seems odd behaviour.. why not just reduce average clocks a bit to keep voltage below that level? doesnt seem a very intelligent reaction from pbo to ramp clocks up and down massively.

so, after noticing this link to voltage, i thought... well, maybe PBO scalar can help, since it increases max voltage limit.

now, in no way do i wish to cook a cpu that i need to last me years to justify cost... but i thought id test my theory anyway.

i went into bios and set PBO scalar to 2x... a single step up out of 10.

back to windows, and indeed it clocks much higher. a sustained render in vray had me sitting at 4.15 ghz stable... however according to ryzen master, cpu voltage was pegged at 1.423v! after about a minute it dropped to about 1.37v, and the clocks to 4.07.. but then went back up again after a few seconds.

strangely ryzen master still reports "peak core voltages" limit set to 1.18v

this seems an entirely unhealthy voltage for all-core on a 64 core chip, so after another minute i rebooted and reset scalar to 1.

back to sensible voltages.

(on a related note, i see that even at stock, it freely increases voltage to 1.425 when doing lightly threaded stuff, which is normal, apparently, but ryzen master always says "peak core voltages" limit set to 1.18v)

so.. can somebody explain how to tune my chip without frying it? (i dont want all core fixed oc.. i need the best single thread i can get, and i also want it to clock down...)

there is actually very little useful PBO info out there, since it does almost nothing on other ryzen3000 chips.. but on the 3990x it makes a HUGE difference.

thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
so much for my theory about the throttling being caused by voltage limit.. today its boosting to 3.7 all core, but voltages are sitting at 1.2v.. which is above the current 1.18v "peak core voltage" basically pbo is wierd. im beginning to doubt if anyone actually understands it.. apart from that guy at AMD who helpfully tells me "its like a triangle"

Back
Top Bottom