Tsunami Warning for Indonesia

Soldato
Last time there was a tsunami warning for New Zealand, my brother and his colleagues all nipped out to the harbour's edge to watch as a 1ft-higher-than-normal, 'bore-like' wave casually lapped against the dock edge.

He tells me it's a fairly common occurence and the only certainty is feeling underwhelmed.

Associate
Sea in Phuket has rescinded which cant be good.

AqMVgWbCEAAlU2z.jpg:large

Soldato
Last time there was a tsunami warning for New Zealand, my brother and his colleagues all nipped out to the harbour's edge to watch as a 1ft-higher-than-normal, 'bore-like' wave casually lapped against the dock edge.

He tells me it's a fairly common occurence and the only certainty is feeling underwhelmed.

This is why the warning centres are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
If they keep putting out Tsunami warnings and nothing transpires, then people end up not taking the warnings seriously, then eventually there comes a time where a warning should actually save lives and people don't take it seriously.

It happened in Hilo, Hawaii in 1960 and doubtless other areas.

I'm not having a go btw, just an observation.

Soldato
Oh I can see we're both making similar points -I agree with what you've said entirely :)

D'oh you're right I mis interpreted :D But not having lived in an area where such dangers can occur, I guess it's easy for me to say I'd always heed the warnings, who knows if I would if I lived in such an area.

Soldato
We get phone calls for flood warnings where I live; the first time we got one resulted in a mild bewildering panic, but after about 10 a year with nothing whatsoever happening, they now hold little value.

Man of Honour
People forgetting that theres a huge volume of water moving - 7inches or so might not seem like much but with the volume displacement required just for 7inches thats gonna be a fair bit bigger once it hits shallower water (though from a very quick and rough calculation thats only gonna be something in the region of 2-3foot wall of water once/if it hits the coast). Also its not a 2-3 foot wave - theres a lot more volume behind it than your normal 2-3foot wave so it will keep going inland much further.

Last edited:
Soldato
People forgetting that theres a huge volume of water moving - 7inches or so might not seem like much but with the volume displacement required just for 7inches thats gonna be a fair bit bigger once it hits shallower water (though from a very quick and rough calculation thats only gonna be something in the region of 2-3foot wall of water once it hits the coast).

Still not a Tsunami though... Just a big wave :p

BBC News said:
A tsunami watch declared after two major earthquakes off the coast of Indonesia's Aceh province has now been cancelled, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PWTC) says.

Source

Just a little bit of an over-reaction... It was a huge earthquake sure, but it looks like it hasn't angered the sea lords :p Better to be safe than sorry though I guess.

Soldato
Tsunami is by definition a long wave - doesn't have to have a certain height its about the volume of water behind it.

The definition of a Tsunami is actually a series of long waves. But in this instance, a Tsunami disaster would be a rare occurance. This is due to the type of earthquake they experienced.

The one they had in 2004 was like this:

tsunami-formation.gif

Whereas, today they had a "Strike-Slip" earthquake which causes no vertical displacement, only Horizontal.

Back
Top Bottom