Tuition fees

AJK

AJK

Associate
It's the difference between comfortably affording mortgage repayments and it being a bit on the tight side.

If you hadn't gone to University and gained your degree, would you be earning the same amount of money as you are now, or less?

If you would be earning the same amount anyway, then University (and the loan) probably wasn't the right decision for you. If you would be earning less, then you should have a net gain or at least be breaking even.

Man of Honour
If you hadn't gone to University and gained your degree, would you be earning the same amount of money as you are now, or less?

If you would be earning the same amount anyway, then University (and the loan) probably wasn't the right decision for you. If you would be earning less, then you should have a net gain or at least be breaking even.

I would likely be earning more, due to an extra three years experience,
There is no way ii should have gone to uni, unfortunately the attitude hasn't changed, people still telling everyone you don't notice the loans and its ridiculous. There is no need for that number of people to go to uni and many people make the wrong choice because of what people and goverment say.
I should have done an apprenataship and would more than likely be on even more.

The sooner this myth that people need and should go to uni stops the better of we will be.

Caporegime
Thanks to Clegg and Cable's hypocrisy, students starting their degree today will, most likely, still be paying off their student debt's when their own children go to university. We have the worst university funding model in the developed world outside of the US, our global status in the University league tables will not last unless we get a government which is serious about supporting them. As it stands we dramatically underfund our universities, and the ConDems idiotic immigration policies are seriously undermining our ability to attract foreign students.

Permabanned
I would likely be earning more, due to an extra three years experience,
There is no way ii should have gone to uni, unfortunately the attitude hasn't changed, people still telling everyone you don't notice the loans and its ridiculous. There is no need for that number of people to go to uni and many people make the wrong choice because of what people and goverment say.
I should have done an apprenataship and would more than likely be on even more.

The sooner this myth that people need and should go to uni stops the better of we will be.
Exactly

Unfortunately people are brainwashed and its drummed into them that there are no other options

Just look at the crap written in the university threads here

Man of Honour
So how does someone work out if they should go to uni or not?

Grades is a good start. If you're applying to a sub uni and a sub course, then it's unlikely to be for you. If you get less than a 2:1 at such a university then it's very much not for you. If you don't know what you want to do after uni, then yu have to give it a good think however degrees will allow you to apply to many jobs even if its not in the same area.

It's by no means easy to decide, but there's this common myth that you have to go and that's just BS, the fact people parrot you don't notice repayments is even more BS.

Permabanned
So how does someone work out if they should go to uni or not?
Take at least a year out and get a job first

University is nothing but buying a bit of paper

It is no different to walking into Tescos and buying eggs.

The only reason the 'degree' is worth anything is because some jobs stipulate (for basically no reason) that you MUST have a degree to apply to it. There is no actual reason for them doing that, the degree offers no advance in knowledge or life skills. Any good employer/manager realises that degrees these days mean absolutely nothing and they cannot be used as any sort of barometer for ANY assessment of a candidate.

I don't know why people act like University is some sort of god given right for everyone. If anything people leave school too late as it is and it stunts their development.

Man of Honour
Like all the jobs that just don't require a degree. Which are now filled by those of us with useless degrees. I don't even need A levels let alone a degree.

Permabanned
Like all the jobs that just don't require a degree. Which are now filled by those of us with useless degrees. I don't even need A levels let alone a degree.
Eventually people will just be banned from working unless they have a degree

There will be such a glut of people who have paid tens of thousands for that stupid bit of paper that the government will do it due to popular demand. Already this occurs in certain industries.

Permabanned
You are the clueless mug who reckons student loan repayments are nothing.

You've swallowed the government false advertising hook line and sinker and are even smug about it

I've not said they're 'nothing,' so hang fire on calling me a 'clueless mug.'

I've swallowed no 'false advertising.' I'm not getting into willy waving over earnings here, but suffice it to say that I'm actually happy to drop £X per month, because I've gotten a more than reasonable return on investment.

I'm sorry if my particular reality doesn't fit with your overly opinionated view on the topic, but we all have to grow up at some point and realise we're not right 100% of the time. :rolleyes:

alx

alx

Soldato
It a catch 22:

People go to university > employers use degrees as a way of filtering candidates > more students go to university so they have access to more jobs > more employers use degrees as a way of filtering out candidates

Permabanned
I've not said they're 'nothing,' so hang fire on calling me a 'clueless mug.'

I've swallowed no 'false advertising.' I'm not getting into willy waving over earnings here, but suffice it to say that I'm actually happy to drop £X per month, because I've gotten a more than reasonable return on investment.

I'm sorry if my particular reality doesn't fit with your overly opinionated view on the topic, but we all have to grow up at some point and realise we're not right 100% of the time. :rolleyes:
I've grown up to realise that I am 100% right, 100% of the time.

If only I had realised that when I was 16.

Permabanned
I've grown up to realise that I am 100% right, 100% of the time.

If only I had realised that when I was 16.

youropinion.jpeg

:)

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I said it would put people off due to saddling them with debt, regardless as to if they may/may have to or be able to pay it back, some people simply don't want to get into large amounts of debt.

Which is an education issue rather than a problem with fees per se.

I do agree that the public perception needs to change on the matter (to encourage those put off to apply) - but I don't think in the grand scheme of things is a net positive move.

More-so when it's being pushed through & supported by a generation who already got a free ride.

(FWIW that isn't me, I am taking on quite a substantial student loan)

So what are the alternatives?

Fund it out of general taxation and make it free, effectively you end up increasing tax to pay for it (or cutting other services).

A graduate tax, which turns a limited liability into an unlimited liability.

Fund it out of general taxation but go back to the system when it was a "free ride" and heavily restrict those that can go to university. See social mobility plummet even more...

Back
Top Bottom