Tuono - All opinions welcomed! (From Fowlers eughhhhh)

Associate
Hi guys.

I have fallen in love with a Tuono and am about to go and put down a deposit tomorrow on it with a view to collecting it next weekend. I already own an R1 and will hopefully be keeping that as well, just in case I get some of the famous Italian reliability "quirks". I really would love some of your invaluable expertise! (sucking up/bum-kissing noise).

So:

1. What do you think of the bike - go to Fowlers Bristol preowned, look at
2013 13 APRILIA TUONO V4R 1000CC £8494

2. Is that a good price? Can I haggle or get extras chucked in? I will be paying a few grand cash and the rest from a 3% loan HSBC have offfered me (I have the premium account and exceptional credit score). If fowlers can give me a good del on say £5k finance I will take it. EDIT: No loan, now have the full amount in cash ready to go.

3. This is the most important question, by far. Are Fowlers *really* that bad? I have heard they can be rude, incompetent, greedy and useless. If this is the case I will abort the purchase despite loving the bike. I am terrified that I will drive halfway home, the bike will die and Fowlers will tell me "not my problem mate" etc etc. There are so many stories online of these kinds of things happening. Superbikes being serviced by spotty 16 year olds on work placements is a sure fire recipe for total disaster.

4. Am I making a horrendous mistake?

Absolutely any, and I really mean ANY advice on this matter will be extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance knowledgeble peeps.

P.S. For the record, my previous bikes have been:

Triumph Speed Triple
Honda CBR600RR
Kawasaki ZX-6R
Yamaha R6
Yamaha R1

Total breakdowns in 13 years - ZERO.

The Tuono looks AMAZING, sounds AMAZING, goes like absolute stink, and I can afford it. But will it leave me stuck by the side of the road cursing the day I ever bought it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The main issue is you are missing ABS on a 2013 bike. From 2014 they had ABS.

Edit: And the 2013s have a smaller fuel tank which does make a noticeable difference on these thirsty machines.

Edit 2: Fantastic choice by the way, The Tuono V4s are amazing bikes. You won't regret getting one at all and their reliability are very good these days.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input. I have never had ABS on any of my bikes before so that's not a huge concern for me. The smaller tank is, but it's a fun machine for me, I will still have the R1 too. Also I will be paying the full amount in cash, should I request a discount and if so, how much is acceptable?

Man of Honour
As long as you are going in with your eyes open and are happy with those two compromises over the 2014 model then it's all good.

Have you asked if the 2014 black one they have for sale at a similar has the newer tank/ABS?

No idea on prices sorry. I paid £8,900 for a 3 month old 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory, but I don't live in the UK :p

Soldato
Fowlers are a bit 'hopeful' when it comes to prices. Exhibit a: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-60-A...066770?hash=item3adb1ac0d2:g:Q2MAAOSw~AVYrwMc

£7k Haha. Hahahahaha. No. :rolleyes::p That should be a grand less, maybe £6250. I bought mine (privately) for £5250 with 11k miles. Saw them at dealers for £5500-6000.

For £9k on a V4 I'd want either a 2014 model or you probably could fine an 1100RR for the same money. There's a 2013 model for £7k on ebay from a dealer, 7000 miles, now that's the right price for a 13 model bike.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
3. This is the most important question, by far. Are Fowlers *really* that bad? I have heard they can be rude, incompetent, greedy and useless. If this is the case I will abort the purchase despite loving the bike. I am terrified that I will drive halfway home, the bike will die and Fowlers will tell me "not my problem mate" etc etc. There are so many stories online of these kinds of things happening. Superbikes being serviced by spotty 16 year olds on work placements is a sure fire recipe for total disaster.

Luckily I've never had to deal with 2nd hand bike dealers but a recent law means you effectively get a month warranty and the garage has to prove the issue was caused by you, if they can't then they have to fix it. If they don't fix it after one attempt then they have to offer another bike or refund (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, you might want to double check). I believe if anything goes wrong within 3 months, but after the first month then you would need to prove the problem existed when you bought the bike, so there's still a little cover even after that time.

Edit 2: Fantastic choice by the way, The Tuono V4s are amazing bikes. You won't regret getting one at all and their reliability are very good these days.

Ahem :p

How's the display on yours? :D

Associate
OP
Well I turned up today, bank account full of cash and ready to buy. However, the guy said he would only knock £200 for a cash sale which I thought was stingy. Then I noticed the rear tyre had a huge slash in it across about a third of the tyre. Also the yellow leather seat was stained and made the bike look really grubby. All in all, I decided to walk away, sure there will be other choices. In fact I think I would rather go for a 2017 and just put the bloody thing on finance...

Soldato
That's the spirit, new bikes are always better :D if you can get a 0% deal and can look passed the loss the second you wheel it out of the dealer, then buying new is the best thing ever. You know where it's been, what it's done, when it was serviced, what oil, lubes etc. have been used and you get to break it in which is amazing once you get to open it up.

To me, just knowing how the thing has been looked after and serviced is worth the depreciation.

Back
Top Bottom