Poll: Turkish Grand Prix 2021, Istanbul - Race 16

Rate the 2021 Turkish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
So, are we expecting LuLu to take an engine swap penalty this weekend in Turkey? Max to win or might Valtteri finally DO something?

Soldato
So, are we expecting LuLu to take an engine swap penalty this weekend in Turkey? Max to win or might Valtteri finally DO something?
If Hamilton needs to take a new engine, and Mercedes aren't just bluffing, then I assume the real reason for Bottas's engine change was an attempt to stop Verstappen getting maximum points in whichever race they choose to take it. I think I'd personally take it at COTA if they've got sufficient mileage left, where there are three places to pass relatively easily.

I also expect Mercedes hope to convince all their partner teams that they need new PUs too and race X is the best race for it, in which case Hamilton would still qualifying 15th, with only the Haas and Alfa cars plus Latifi (who took a new PU in Russia) or Tsunoda likely to be between him and points. If that plays out he should be in the top 10 by the end of lap 2 at COTA. Probably lap 4 or 5 if they take it this weekend.

Man of Honour
KOxTxAJ_d.webp

Istanbul
When was the track built?
Work began on the circuit in Akfirat, around an hour’s drive east of Istanbul, in 2003, with the Hermann Tilke-designed track readied in August 2005, having had $40 million lavished on it.

When was its first Grand Prix?
No sooner had the track opened than it was hosting the inaugural Turkish Grand Prix on August 21, a drama-filled race won by McLaren’s Kimi Raikkonen, with Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher famously coming together when Webber tried to unlap himself.

What’s the circuit like?
There’s no doubt that Istanbul is one of the best tracks ever penned by Tilke, with parts of the circuit having been compared over the years to similar features at Spa-Francorchamps, Interlagos and Laguna Seca. The crown jewel of Intercity Istanbul Park, however, remains Turn 8, an incredibly fast, bumpy, multi-apex downhill left-hander that’s a proper test of drivers’ commitment.

TV Times
Sky:
UVN160d.png

C4:
Sat - Quali Highlights 6.30pm
Sun - Race Highlights 6.30pm

Track Diagram & Information
vnWVqJW.png

Weather Forecast
Jj5yaGM.png

WDC Standings
wG3qDWn.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
4TYpT3T.png

Practice 1
lGjatfU.png

Practice 2
je9zh2O.png

Practice 3
R6cCcuz.png

Qualifying
2W2Mgm3.png

Race
DP91jYb.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Shimmy :)

Interesting to see rain on the forecast, I don't expect it to be as low grip as last year but who knows.

And whether, if the rain is 'definite', that will influence Mercs decision as to whether to replace Hamiltons engine or not...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I doubt they'll take a penalty at Turkey and actually think the media have misinterpreted Merc's comments. i.e. they may have to take a penalty =! take a penalty at the next race.

Caporegime
Red Bull are running a white livery in tribute to Honda. Looks immense!

At this point, I'm just assuming that any team running special livery is going to have a nightmare weekend. Max to crash in Q1, then get taken out by Gio in the race. Peréz to retire from the lead with an engine failure on the second to last lap. You heard it here first ;)

Associate
OP
At this point, I'm just assuming that any team running special livery is going to have a nightmare weekend. Max to crash in Q1, then get taken out by Gio in the race. Peréz to retire from the lead with an engine failure on the second to last lap. You heard it here first ;)

Yeah special livery will look great embedded in the tyre barriers :D

Soldato
I always look forward to Spa and always looked forward to Turkey until it was dropped. Last year was a blinder in Turkey for me, but this year should be zillions of times better as long as the surface has been well raced on over the last year.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

There could be a race in Atacama and if I went, it'd rain :p hell, I even managed to get caught in a thunderstorm in Las Vegas when I went. Only rains about 15 days a year there for Christ sake.
I remember talking to a chap in Vegas and he mentioned their average annual rainfall was something silly like 2mm.

We get that on a daily basis in Wales :p

Back
Top Bottom