Turned off Gsync on my monitor, didn’t notice much difference...

rn2

rn2

Associate
I heard that gsync doesn’t fix stuttering but only tearing. I just started testing out what the monitor is like with gsync disabled, well I can’t see any tearing even at 60 frames and when playing cities skylines I saw no tearing at 25 frames.. strange..

Soldato
It doesn’t make a massive difference under 60fps. 40fps is still 40fps regardless of gsync or not.

You won’t see tearing as that is above refresh rate. Under refresh rate you will just get stuttering as it is missing frames.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
It doesn’t make a massive difference under 60fps. 40fps is still 40fps regardless of gsync or not.

You won’t see tearing as that is above refresh rate. Under refresh rate you will just get stuttering as it is missing frames.

There is definately a difference but not worth that much more money. Realistically it's worth about £40 more. Anyway very nice computer by the way.

Soldato
There is definately a difference but not worth that much more money. Realistically it's worth about £40 more. Anyway very nice computer by the way.

When I went from regular 4k to 4k gsync some years ago it never really wowed me as I was hitting 60hz most of the time anyway. You still get stutter even with gsync and rapid frame drops.

I actually took a downgrade as my old 4k monitor now sold many years ago was a beaut. The gsync one compared to it picture wise was crap.

Does make more of a difference at high refresh though.

I actually use a 4k OLED most of the time and it never bothers me not having vrr.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP

When I went from regular 4k to 4k gsync some years ago it never really wowed me as I was hitting 60hz most of the time anyway. You still get stutter even with gsync and rapid frame drops.

I actually took a downgrade as my old 4k monitor now sold many years ago was a beaut. The gsync one compared to it picture wise was crap.

Does make more of a difference at high refresh though.

I actually use a 4k OLED most of the time and it never bothers me not having vrr.

you're welcome. I am looking forward to getting a whole new top end system next year. I will still be gaming at 1080p (I know it sounds stupid) but It will be nice to run everything on ultra and not have to worry so much for a few years.

If you have V-Sync enabled you won't see tearing but you will get increased input latency.

I have been running Gsync with Vsync on it seems and that is probably why I don't notice Gsync so much but then again I might be wrong. More testing needs to be done :)

Soldato
Freesync and Gsync does seem to be more of the icing on the cake. It really does help me around 50-60 FPS. It doesn't feel perfect but it feels much more smoother and palatable. I think at higher refresh rates its just meant to smooth out no tearing without the input lag of Vsync, which is pretty much what it does. But a lot of us enable Vsync too anyway since Gsync doesn't sort out the tearing when a game exceeds your monitors refresh rate so meh..

Associate

This.
When playing RE2R, I could notice, but it was worst if more fps than the refreshing rate than minimum.

Soldato
Its good between 49-60fps on my 4K freesync/Gysnc monitor, turn off any framerate counters and you'll struggle to tell the difference between (for example) 53fps and a locked 60fps.

..but once it goes below 49, then you may as well not have paid extra for the feature.

Soldato
Its good between 49-60fps on my 4K freesync/Gysnc monitor, turn off any framerate counters and you'll struggle to tell the difference between (for example) 53fps and a locked 60fps.

..but once it goes below 49, then you may as well not have paid extra for the feature.

Maybe it varies panel to panel.On my Alienware I could still feel dips below 60. On my CRG9, its less noticeable. Really strange.

Associate
I am unfortunately one of those people for whom the difference between 60hz and 144hz is not as night and day as it is to others, its smoother, but not the massive difference i was expecting and hoping for. I do wonder about 240hz though.... waiting for 1440p varieties of it.

Man of Honour
I am unfortunately one of those people for whom the difference between 60hz and 144hz is not as night and day as it is to others, its smoother, but not the massive difference i was expecting and hoping for. I do wonder about 240hz though.... waiting for 1440p varieties of it.

If you don't notice the difference between 60 and 144Hz I doubt 240Hz will be a revelation - the big difference is that step from 60 through to 80-100Hz above that is quickly diminishing returns for most people.

Maybe it varies panel to panel.On my Alienware I could still feel dips below 60. On my CRG9, its less noticeable. Really strange.

Things like max response times even when typical or average are low, built in latency, etc. will all make a difference - even a few ms might push you from 1 frame of lag to a minimum of 2 frames of lag and that will be much more noticeable even if it only happens now and again.

Back
Top Bottom