tweedbeans 2018 MY17 Mustang GT Shadow Edition Project

Associate
Hi all, I thought I would post up a new thread RE my latest purchase, a brand new 2018 Mustang GT Shadow Edition in Grabber Blue. I have been into fast Mini's for many year and I still own an R53 project car that you may have seen before however I had a hankering for something else to add to this and the Ranger Rover Sport family wagon:

The other project

Industrial Park - R53 by James Baker, on Flickr

My R53 at Curborough July 2017 by James Baker, on Flickr

Current Spec
r53 spec by James Baker, on Flickr

My daily was a tuned 2014 F56 putting out 300bhp however for ages I wanted to take the next step up into something with more power from the start with the possibility to upgrade in the future. So I sold the F56 and the search began. Lots of cars were considered including 370z, GT86 with turbo, WRX STI, Focus RS however after a lot of research I set my heart on a Mustang GT. Having seen Gibbo's Mustang a number of times, that V8 rumble won me over. I was looking for a decent used example, when Gibbo pointed out Ford were doing 0% on the current range which was an offer I couldn't refuse. So off I trotted off to the Nottingham Ford Store and dealt with Aaron, who Gibbo had recommended and he did me a fantastic deal.

I went for Grabber blue, I was stuck between this, triple yellow and Oxford white. I wanted the shadow edition as it came with every option including sat nav with apple car play, shaker sound system, reverse camera/sensors and climate controlled seats(Heated and cooled). And it had to be a manual GT for that 5.0 V8 rumble. I managed to avoid the 6 month waiting list as there was a car in stock, unregistered in Belgium, where Ford store these cars. It also comes with shadow edition black wheels, dechrome exterior with black badging and faded bonnet+side stripes in black

So with only a 3 week wait, my mind went crazy about what mods to buy, however I have been sensible and not purchased much until I have lived with it for a few weeks to decide what I like/don't like, need to change etc. I did however purchase two mods, one of which was fitted by the dealer for me before I had even collected it, a Sto n Sho removable front number plate holder so I can easily remove the front plates for pictures/shows without leaving behind screw holes in the front bumper and I have also picked up a brand new genuine GT350R alcantara steering wheel with flat bottom which I will fit myself in the coming weeks.

So no more wait, here are some pictures.

The Mustang:

The day I collected it, Aaron made it a special event by keeping it hidden then a quick reveal:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

It will never be this fresh and new again:

Untitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I took if for a spin and took a few photos:

2018 Ford Mustang GT Shadow Edition by James Baker, on Flickr

The all important Coyote engine, and it has an epic gearbox attached too:

Over here we get the performance pack as standard so here you can see the huge brembo callipers under the Shadow edition 19" wheels:

Bonnet Stripes as part of the shadow edition, very subtle but they highlight the power bulge well:

Just because:

Associate
OP
Here is the steering wheel I have ready to fit. Straight swap as its made for a Mustang GT350R, which you can get in the US. Much prefer a part alcantara wheel over full leather. Love the red stitching on this, as it matches the red from the start button. It also has a flat bottom to it.

GT350R steering wheel by James Baker, on Flickr

How's the 10-speed gearbox?

Sorry mines a manual, was not interested in an auto so haven't test one. I hear they are epic. Although mine is a 2018 plate, its the pre-facelift car, it sounds like theres lots of delays with deliveries of the facelift version and I couldnt wait 6 months+

Associate
As mentioned on m6g (Heretian), you won’t be disappointed. They aren’t lovely cars. I picked up my second one from Aaron on the 25th May and despite having an AC compressor failure on day of collection I still enjoy it (bit warm though at moment)

Can’t fault Aaron either. He’s been in touch and offered to help sort issues. Even offered to loan out another Mustang while mine is worked on. Just a shame it’s a bit of a trek so I am using local dealer for Warranty work.

Soldato
As mentioned on m6g (Heretian), you won’t be disappointed. They aren’t lovely cars. I picked up my second one from Aaron on the 25th May and despite having an AC compressor failure on day of collection I still enjoy it (bit warm though at moment)

Can’t fault Aaron either. He’s been in touch and offered to help sort issues. Even offered to loan out another Mustang while mine is worked on. Just a shame it’s a bit of a trek so I am using local dealer for Warranty work.
I thought you bought a Focus RS because the mustang was too much of a handfull? :p

Associate
No I bought the RS as I fell out with the Mustang after it was vandalised 3 times and had a shed fall on it during storm Doris.

Now have secure parking at work so it’s not other parked in a public car park anymore.

Also the RS was too hard for daily driving for me. Awesome in weekend blast but daily I prefer the Mustang. With the current deals the new one is cheaper monthly and cheaper tax than my old one too so thought I would try again.

Associate
OP
Surprised they are still coming with P Zero's on, is the 18 better on tyres or still worth switching to P4S?

Not sure on the 18 as mine is the pre-facelift and I never bothered driving the facelift as the price increase put me off.

Hi, yes he has been so good with it all and he really got the odd questions that only a car enthusiast would ask.

Looking good, James. Congrats !

That Sto and Sho removable plate is great. Shame mine comes with holes in the bumper as I'd buy something similar !

Thanks, yeah they are really good, a quick pull of the locking pin and out it pops. A much better solution than what I could get for the Mini.

Nice Mustang. Real shame we can't run cars without a front plate in this country.

Totally agree, all cars look better without front plates.

nice purchase . perfect garage combo !

Thanks, I think the colour of the two cars compliment each other well. Two very different cars, one very good at straight line speed and one is perfect for corners, I will let you work out which is which ;)

Associate
OP
Decided to fully protect the car this weekend, I was sending it for a new car detail however the paint work was really good from factory so I did it myself.

First I started on the wheels:
- Sprayed using Valet Pro Dragons blood, left to work, before jet washing off
- Cleaned using wash mit and bucket of Chemical Guys Extreme Maxi Suds ii
- Second spray using Dragons blood, left to work, before jet washing off
- Dried Wheels
- Sealed using Poor boys wheel seal

Next onto the car itself:
- Snowfoamed using mix of Chemical Guys Extreme Maxi Suds ii and Valet Pro PH neutral Snow Foam, left to work then jet washed off
- Two bucket method was using hot water and Chemical Guys Extreme Maxi Suds ii
- Snowfoamed using mix of Chemical Guys Extreme Maxi Suds ii and Valet Pro PH neutral Snow Foam, left to work then jet washed off
- Dried the entire car
- Clayed each panel using Supernatural Medium detailing clay and Dodo Juice Clay lube
- No polishing required as no swirls etc so protected each panel using a minimum of two layers of Collinite 476s

The above method was used on the glass aswell.

I need to buy some proper protection for the textured black plastics, so I didnt apply any products to those for now.

Really pleased with the outcome.

Detail and Protected by James Baker, on Flickr

Protected by James Baker, on Flickr

OcUK Staff
Car looks superb James, glad you got there in the end.
Yes the pre-facelift cars are an absolute bargain if you get a good deal, made even nicer by the 0% finance offers.

As you know need any help, just drop me an FB message, Aaron is a top guy so your in good hands, car looks epic. When does the loud exhaust go on? :D

P.S. Those asking PS4S are standard fitment on facelift GT cars, pre-facelift are all Pzero. Pzero though not as good is fine in the Summer, but in Winter its a poor tyre, whereas the MPSS or PS4S are great all year round.

Back
Top Bottom