Two monitor PC spec

Associate
So, it's been a long time since I last built a PC!

I need to build a system to support two 29" ultrawide monitors (mounted one above the other).

Please could someone let me know if this spec will work ok? It's for a home trading setup and I won't be using it for gaming for the moment but may upgrade the GPU in the future when they're back at normal prices!

Many thanks

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £923.48 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
Using older tech and high spec i7 of older gen that will go to waste and cost more

Are you saving and moving a lot of data around ? Reason I ask is those NVMe drives are great if your importing a 20GB 4k video then writing/saving it back to a drive etc etc

And is saving data key ? Raid 1 drives will allow redundancy if one fails and you haven't back up externally .

Basically ball rolling

The core, storage drives and case would be up to you and your needs along with case choice

Total: £488.00 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Just for a laugh and play, case IS expensive, but the size of a kids show box and aluminium - rest is same spec

Total: £681.59 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
OP
Thanks orbitalwalsh, really helpful advice. I don’t have massive data transfer needs but I do need to display multiple programs for charts/scanners/analysing tools which update every second so I guess I need reasonable CPU/RAM. Do you reckon the above you’ve suggested would be enough to run all that on 2 large screens?

Soldato
Thanks orbitalwalsh, really helpful advice. I don’t have massive data transfer needs but I do need to display multiple programs for charts/scanners/analysing tools which update every second so I guess I need reasonable CPU/RAM. Do you reckon the above you’ve suggested would be enough to run all that on 2 large screens?

If you know you'll be pushing Ram, step up to 16GB kit. Believe it's £170 and will get the job done .
In theory, the clock speed of ryzen isn't as fast as Intel K chips, bit they do run a lot cooler and less engery and their winning feature is price to Thread count. Chip above has same 4 core and 8 thread count as the Intel , but I think for £20 you can get Ryzen 1600 with is 6 cores and 12 threads... You can even for £260 push ryzen 1700 for 8 cores and 16 threads... That's a lot of multi tasking, and this is were amd has gained mass of market share .

What's your current PC system spec ? And is that at 100% load when your working at 100% ?
Also what are your screen resolution /model/make and display outputs ?

Technically matrox makes cards for industries like yours .

Associate
OP
Ok thanks - I’ll do some research going down the AMD route. I sold my last PC in 2012 and bought a MacBook as I had to travel a lot for work. My current home setup is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 2 x 24” external monitors (one via Mini DisplayPort and one via USB/DVI interface). The main issue is heat as the MacBook runs extremely hot when I start running multiple programs. I have to manually crank up the fan and sit it on a cooling mat. I’ll do some tests this week to see how much the CPU’s getting loaded up. My aim is to go on to 2 x ultrawide 29” monitors.

Associate
Start with your case, most people don't. think of where its going in the house, if its black and looks like crap most partners have a dissagreement with it. the nzxt s340 elite white goes with most decors.

Soldato
Ok thanks - I’ll do some research going down the AMD route. I sold my last PC in 2012 and bought a MacBook as I had to travel a lot for work. My current home setup is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with 2 x 24” external monitors (one via Mini DisplayPort and one via USB/DVI interface). The main issue is heat as the MacBook runs extremely hot when I start running multiple programs. I have to manually crank up the fan and sit it on a cooling mat. I’ll do some tests this week to see how much the CPU’s getting loaded up. My aim is to go on to 2 x ultrawide 29” monitors.

Card I listed is on the top end of the budget gtx 1030 entry cad but only one that has native Display port and HDMI so should cover you on screen front without having to use adaptors
Have you found your screens yet as well ?
Seems Samsung and LG pushing out massive 40"+ wide screens for markets like yours

Specially with cash saved ... Damn would display a lot of content!

Total: £955.88 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Associate
OP
Yeah those monitors are awesome. At the moment I'm looking at the LGs as colleagues of mine love them and they are reasonably priced.

Ok, so what about if I ditched the desktop idea completely and went with something like this? Should be pretty good performance right?

Total: £1,682.39 (includes shipping: £22.50)

Associate
OP
I'm guessing I could run one monitor via HDMI and one via mini displayport. Or I could max out on one massive monitor! :cool:

Is it my imagination or can you get better GPUs for the price in laptops these days??

Soldato
I'm guessing I could run one monitor via HDMI and one via mini displayport. Or I could max out on one massive monitor! :cool:

Is it my imagination or can you get better GPUs for the price in laptops these days??

Yep, no mining craze in laptops haha and chips for those most likely made way before shortage or pre-allocated

Back
Top Bottom