• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Two monitors on an AMD ASUS A68HM PLUS Socket FM+ motherboard

Soldato
hello,

This m/board has built in DVI And HDMI outputs on the on board graphics processor. I have only ever used 1 monitor.

I have given this to my daughter and she says she needs 2 monitors when she works at home - for viewing spreadsheets, documents at the same time. Can I just plug 2 monitors into these sockets or do I need to buy a pci express graphics card with provision for connecting (say) 2 x DVI monitors at the same time.

Thanks, Mel

Soldato
OP
The processor is AMD A6 6400K A6 APU Black Edition
Clock Speed 3.90GHz
Graphics Chipset Integrated AMD RADEON HD 8470D

1 x DVI
1 x D sub
1 x HDMI

Can I just connect one monitor to the DVI (as now) and an additional one to the HDMI port?

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I think dual graphics as in crossfire support which is a no. I believe dvi + D sub or hdmi + d sub might work,from past experience hdmi and dvi are both digital using same connector or resource in graphic processor so we could only use one port between those two.

Soldato
OP
Can I buy a graphics card with output for 2 monitors and put this in the PCI-Express slot and run 2 monitors that way - bypassing the on-board graphics capability?

Or buy a graphics board with one DVI output and plug one monitor into the on-board DVI outlet and the other into the graphics board outlet? Or does installing a graphics board disable the on board graphics?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
That APU + motherboard can run two monitors fine. No need to spend the extra on a discrete GPU.

Thanks - is that from personal experience? Or some other info I / others have failed to find? Anyway I will take my small TV which has HDMI and VGA input to try with the existing DVI monitor next time I go to my Daughter's.

Back
Top Bottom