Tyres from Costco

Soldato
Anyone ever had tyres fitted at Costco, they only sell Michellin though and I'll be getting 4x 195/50/14s, total cost is £160 including fitting, tracking and balancing. Is that a good price and do they do a good job?

Associate
other half got 4 done yesterday at costco, said very quick, friendly and good price, worked out only £10 more than the cheapest budget tyres from elsewhere. Plus you get discount for getting 4 or more at the same time. :D

Soldato
OP
commodore16 said:
other half got 4 done yesterday at costco, said very quick, friendly and good price, worked out only £10 more than the cheapest budget tyres from elsewhere. Plus you get discount for getting 4 or more at the same time. :D

ooo didn't know there was an extra discount, that £160 includes the 20% discount I already have :D

Soldato
OP
The only Michelin tyres I can find at that size are called 'Energy' so I guess they're the ones, any good?

I got the size wrong too, should be 195/60/14, I'm not sure of this now though because the ones on the car are 185/60 so should I stick with the same or can I go a bit wider? a friend told me I could do it

edit/ may have even been "PILOT EXALTO"

Last edited:
Soldato
Costco tyre services are great, sadly Michellin don't do rubber in my size.

*thanks Toyota for choosing a random non standard size just because they could*

Soldato
CostCo are doing a 20% discount on Michelin Pilot/Energy IIRC. I saw the voucher in the members booklet you get every few months. Might be worth taking a look in store and try get the booklet if you don't already have one.

Caporegime
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Quick question, my tyres are currently 185/60s, my mate said I could put on 195/60s for more grip but they wouldn't fit the wheel would they?

Yes they would fit, the new ones are about 2% larger rolling radius, so your speedo reading would be approx 2% out.
i.e. it says you are doing 100kph you would atually be doing 102kph, so be extra carefull about your speed.

Some tyre fitters may quibble about fitting them, but most should be fine, in my experience they will fit tyres that are 2-3% bigger but not much more than that.

aMb

aMb

Associate
Yeah got the Pilot Primacy from Costco. Fairly good tyes from what I understand and the price is good considering :)

Soldato
OP
Entai said:
Yes they would fit, the new ones are about 2% larger rolling radius, so your speedo reading would be approx 2% out.
i.e. it says you are doing 100kph you would atually be doing 102kph, so be extra carefull about your speed.

Some tyre fitters may quibble about fitting them, but most should be fine, in my experience they will fit tyres that are 2-3% bigger but not much more than that.

Would I notice much difference in grip/handling etc?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
blueboy2001 said:
Why? Compared to what?
Compared to anything, really. Exalto was always quoted as prime example of brand names releasing below par products. Even user reviews on tyretest.com, which similarly to any "user review" website, usually rave about practically every piece of rubber under the sun look less than thrilled about Exalto.
I thought the same - "how bad can they be" but I had Exaltos on Almera 2 years ago and the lack of grip in any torque involving situation was legendary, fronts were dissapearing twice faster than economy Kumhos the car was originally equipped with and yet going around tight roundabout on a dry day the Exaltos would squeel like a laughing Vicky Buttler Henderson (at any speed).
It was the longest 17,000 miles in my life. Fronts were illegal by then, whole set was ditched for Pirellis.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sirrel Squirrel said:
Would I notice much difference in grip/handling etc?

Tricky to answer that tbh, the sidewalls will be slightly larger so the ride would possibly be a bit softer and maybe the car might roll slightly more in cornering, you may notice that but most likely you will not, as it is not a huge difference in sizes really.
You may notice more percieved grip than the old tyres, however that may be due to the slightly wider tyres, or it may just be because the compound is different (read slightly softer maybe) than the old tyres, although, most likely, the "Energy" type tyres are often slightly harder compound than most people would like, as then you get slightly lower rolling resistance hence saving fuel and energy.

Maybe someone who has some Michelin's would step in and let us know how they really handle etc??

Back
Top Bottom