U.S. Keyboard layout, can I somehow get my (£) back?

Associate
Surely this is a common issue in the U.K. for people with U.S. gaming keyboards, I have a U.S. style layout keyboard as I could only find the keyboard I wanted in that layout. So I switched my keyboard layout to U.S. in Windows 10 so my (@)(")(#) keys etc all work as they should. Only problem is that now my number 4 key+shift produces a ($)...

So, is there a way I can map my (4) key+shift to produce a (£) within Windows 10 Home and not a 3rd party software? FYI the keyboard is a Logitech G610 Orion (see link below), and I do not run the Logitech software at all because I simply don't need it to run in order to get the keyboard to do what I want, I did open it just now anyway to see if I can map keys as a last resort but I couldn't see a way anyway.

Also I know I can get the (£) by ALT+156 but that's a bit long winded.

The keyboard for reference: https://www.logitechg.com/en-ca/products/gaming-keyboards/g610-orion-keyboard.html

Associate
If you can stomach having the "wrong" symbols on the keys, then just switch to a UK layout on the keyboard. There are a few differences in layout but minor ones.

Associate
OP
If you can stomach having the "wrong" symbols on the keys, then just switch to a UK layout on the keyboard. There are a few differences in layout but minor ones.
If I switch back to UK I believe it swaps the (") and (@) over, and maybe more. Maybe I can switch back to UK layout and just buy some key caps that match what I need .

Soldato
Download the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and do the following;

1. Open the MKLC program and load the existing keyboard (probably US)

2. Tick the shift box on the left then click on the # button which opens up a VK_3 Shft box

3. Open character map and select the £ sign and copy. Paste this over the # in the VK_3 box and click OK

4. Select project then build DLL and Setup Package and complete that process.

5. Once saved then open the folder and run setup.

6. After this has been installed you will then be able to add another keyboard in control panel, which in my case was US-custom, and make it the default.

Now shift+3 gives me the £ sign.

Associate
Another easier workaround:

Change keyboard language to English (United States International) NOT US

Right alt (Alt-Gr) + Shift + 4 = £

The problem with this layout is the way it handles single or double quotes because of the so-called "dead" keys feature. When you press e.g., the double-quote key, you have to type another key, such as space, for the quote to actually appear. This is very annoying, especially if you are a programmer, where quotes are used all the time. The layout does this in case the next key is accented (e.g., a letter key), in which case the quote is converted into an accented character.

Download the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and do the following;

1. Open the MKLC program and load the existing keyboard (probably US)

2. Tick the shift box on the left then click on the # button which opens up a VK_3 Shft box

3. Open character map and select the £ sign and copy. Paste this over the # in the VK_3 box and click OK

4. Select project then build DLL and Setup Package and complete that process.

5. Once saved then open the folder and run setup.

6. After this has been installed you will then be able to add another keyboard in control panel, which in my case was US-custom, and make it the default.

Now shift+3 gives me the £ sign.

This is the way to do it, especially as it is built-into Windows, and does not need third party software. As a variation of this, for my ANSI keyboard, I loaded the US keyboard and bound AltGr+3 to £, and AltGr+4 to €. This means I can keep Shift+3 and Shift+4 as the standard US keyboard characters (# and $), so the keycaps (unshifted and shifted) fully match what gets typed. I just need to remember to use AltGr+3 to get £, as there is no indication on the keycaps.

For anyone in the UK, I suggest getting an ANSI keyboard rather then ISO UK, as there is far more choice in keycaps for ANSI, and they tend to be cheaper too.

Associate
I typed a reply then noticed that this thread is 4 years old. So it doesn't go to waste, here's what I was going to post:

I had this problem with a set of custom keycaps that didn't quite have the right keys for a UK layout. I got some UK keyboard stickers to stick over the US keys. You can get transparent ones so they don't look too out of place.

Associate
I knew how old this thread was when I posted above, but I don’t see any problem with that, it is still relevant.

The transparent stickers are a nice idea too.

I have just got an ANSI keyboard, so I am going to try to adjust to the layout after having always used ISO UK before. I reckon it won’t be too difficult, after all every time we play a new game we have to learn a new set of keys.

Back
Top Bottom