1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. State Department approves possible $2.2 billion arms sale to Taiwan

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Old Man, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Old Man

Wise Guy

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Why should Taiwan not be able to sufficiently defend itself from China if needs be? it isn't like Taiwan is a military threat to a peaceful China...

3. Feef

Wise Guy

Huh, interesting topic to come up here. I don't imagine this will go anywhere beyond China's general condemnation of these sorts of deals, the U.S. Still won't sell Taiwan anything too advanced and things will continue to rumble along as usual. There's nothing particularly new about it, this sort of sale has happened fairly regularly, though it's always nice to have the situation highlighted for a wider audience.

4. Old Man

Wise Guy

China considers Taiwan to be a "breakaway province" and as such, there is a constant tension between the two: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34729538

Look at China's poisition concerning the South China Sea and the ever growing tension; so I am wondering just how far China would be willing to go considering everything at this time:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/world/asia/south-china-sea-dispute-arbitration-explained.html

imo

TY

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. Nasher

Capodecina

Taiwan doesn't want to be China, it wants to go forward and saw what happened to Tibet. But China thinks it owns Taiwan.

6. terley

Wise Guy

If anyone doubts the significance of Taiwan in regards to Chinas military ability, its location essentially nullifies their ability to wage a naval war should it need to.

[​IMG]

7. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Thanks for the geography lesson, though it's quite unimportant. What is important is that Taiwan has the implicit backing of the United States and in the event China ever got into a hot war with Taiwan, it's geographical proximity would the last of anyone's problems.

8. terley

Wise Guy

Well your dismisive comment aside, the proximity of Taiwan is one of the biggest issues for China, the location of it directly impacts the ability for them to wage a naval war should it happen.

They are especially vulnerable as almost all of their major cities are situated along the cost.

9. mid_gen

Sgarrista

The proximity is of no relevance at all. Taiwan has the protection of the United States, and the United States has a collection of carrier groups and long range airborne weapons that can put much of their firepower on the doorstep of any country in the world.

The US also has permanent military bases in South Korea, the Philippines, and Japan, all within short striking distance of the Chinese mainland.

The geographical proximity of Taiwan means nothing. Taiwan is an issue for them because it's where the Republic Of China fled to when they lost the Chinese Civil War....and the CCP still regards Taiwan as their sovereign territory.

10. terley

Wise Guy

You are completley missing the point of my post.. I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying, merely reacting to your arrogant response...

I am saying that Taiwan is such a hotbed subject for China because of their geographical location, you are right it has the US' protection... the point is, it is such an issue for China because it directly effects their ability to have a strong naval force with a potential enemy so close to their shores..

I feel like you are disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreement..

11. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I think if there is going to be a WW3, this is going to be it, over Taiwan.

The bigger China becomes economically, the more they are trying to influence the world. They are already forcing a lot of countries to treat Taiwan as a part of China in their political speak and policies, it won't be long before China just "take it".

The US and Taiwan supposed to have a treaty where the US will defend Taiwan if they are in need...i wonder if that will be honoured.

12. mid_gen

Sgarrista

To say that China is bothered about an arms deal with Taiwan because of it's geographical proximity just suggests to me that you don't know the history and politics of the region.

It's like saying that Northern Ireland is a hotbed subject for Ireland because of it's geographic proximity.

13. terley

Wise Guy

Im not talking about the arms deal for god sake..

Im talking in general terms about taiwans proximity is a hotbed subject..

How are you so devoid of common sense you don't realise i am talking about a related topic but not the same one as the OP brought up?

You just criticise and try to provoke with your responses instead of just understanding my point.

There have been many documentaries covering the subject of distain China has towards Taiwan as it sits so close to their shores it hinders their naval ability.

14. mid_gen

Sgarrista

China's disdain for Taiwan has nothing to do with it's geographical proximity for goodness sake. Read some history.

Taiwan is where the Republic of China government, the losing side in the Chinese Civil War that led to the Communist party taking control of the mainland, fled to in the aftermath of the war. China has never recognised Taiwan as an independent state and regards it as it's own sovereign territory that should come back under their control.

If China has a problem with conducting naval warfare in South East Asia, it's the United States army, navy and air force that has it completely encircled by bases in South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines, not the knackered old US castoffs that make up the Taiwanese armed forces.

15. Old Man

Wise Guy