Ubiquiti USG

Soldato
We have been using a TZ205 which is now ancient and has been a bit unreliable lately. We have a leased line with ADSL as a failover.

I am thinking of changing to an ubiquiti USG and a Unifi 8 port switch to allow us to create VLANS based on the port of the switch. The WIFI AP is also ubiquiti so it should all integrate nicely.

Am I right in assuming the USG can have a second VLAN that is isolated from all the other traffic and unable to access the work network (like a guest network) through the switch?

Thanks!

Untitled_Diagram_1.png

Caporegime
I still don't feel that the USG exposes enough of the power of the underlying system through the UniFi UI to be able to recommend it. Go hog-wild for basic switching and Wi-Fi, but I was always frustrated with the limitations of the USG.

Soldato
If it was me I'd be putting an RB3011 in there. That would take some serious beating. PfSense is great but a hardware build can be costly for something half decent or you VM it on a host which will probably be in your LAN so raises some security issues.

Soldato
OP
I still don't feel that the USG exposes enough of the power of the underlying system through the UniFi UI to be able to recommend it. Go hog-wild for basic switching and Wi-Fi, but I was always frustrated with the limitations of the USG.
Well I am not looking to do anything more than running a wifi network, routing and firewall tbh hence looking at these. I also have failover wan ports.

I know there is also an er-x too (I have this at home) although it seems a bit more complex.

Soldato
Well I am not looking to do anything more than running a wifi network, routing and firewall tbh hence looking at these. I also have failover wan ports.

I know there is also an er-x too (I have this at home) although it seems a bit more complex.

The firewall through UniFi is awful to use! Think cutting your feet off then putting them in place of your hands kind of awkwardness!

The USG doesn’t have the nice happy web interface to do advanced routing either. It’s aimed squarely at “IT Professionals”.

Back
Top Bottom