Ubisoft buys Nadeo (trackmania ppl)

Soldato
Just heard about this today. Hope it doesnt ruin the games by being bought by one of the big boys in the industry.

Today, Ubisoft announced the acquisition of the development studio Nadeo, creator of TrackMania, the cult multiplayer car racing video game.

Set up in 2000 in Paris and comprising a highly talented team of developers, the Nadeo studio has won acclaim for the quality of its multiplayer technology which offers one of the best available on-line gaming experiences and has already notched up 10 million registered players. Its flagship game - TrackMania - has 700,000 unique players a month and is a pioneer in the sharing of creations (almost 15 million custom tracks created since 2008). It is also the first eSport franchise for racing games.

"The acquisition of Nadeo is an important step in our expansion within the on-line gaming sector", said Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer of Ubisoft. "Through Nadeo, Ubisoft will gain an expert team, one of the best on-line technologies around as well as a flagship multiplayer game that enjoys an unrivalled reputation among a loyal and committed community. We are excited about the idea of introducing TrackMania to an ever-wider audience and sharing the expertise of Nadeo's teams with our Group's other developers."

"Joining Ubisoft is a huge opportunity for us to develop and innovate and take Nadeo to new horizons", said Florent Castelnérac, Chief Executive Officer of Nadeo. "Nadeo’s team was keen for this acquisition to happen. Like players in a community, we see ourselves as being a complementary fit with Ubisoft and believe that we can share and quickly move ahead together."

source

Last edited:
Associate
'hmmm, Ubisoft had something to do with assassins creed'... Not good, not good at all. They also have Deus Ex 2 and Farcry 2 etc under their belt. None of these make for a shining resume.

Nadeo are a great studio so I hope they rub-off on Ubi rather than the other way around.

Soldato
Very bad news, ubisoft are rubbish as a publisher for pc, bad ports and dumbed down games, no doubt they want to bring TM to consoles, causing it to eventually die out ( or well, become unsupported) on PC in the end...

Wish ubisoft would stay at making console games instead of buying up good pc devs then making them focus on consoles.

Soldato
I can but dream, the only game I miss since my PC died:(

What kind of laptop do you have ? TM is great because it runs on anything, at uni I play it on some integrated graphics rubbish and p4 pc's, easily 30 fps... Though it doesn't look pretty ofc :p.

Soldato
What kind of laptop do you have ? TM is great because it runs on anything, at uni I play it on some integrated graphics rubbish and p4 pc's, easily 30 fps... Though it doesn't look pretty ofc :p.

It plays Trackmania quite well actually, it's an old sempron Acer, with a 128mb x700 chip. Had it for years:D

I've always thought that Trackmania would do well on the consoles, even back before I was tempted to the dark side myself.

Soldato
Trackmania on consoles (that aren't the DS \o/) would be fantastic.

That said, not a fan of Ubisoft at the moment. Have a suspicion they're going to want to put their fingers very heavily in this pie. Expect bloated and tacked-on menus/multiplayer searching, and too many "features."

Soldato
Bye Bye to paying £20 and having a game play for a life time.

Say hello to LOTS of paid for DLC.

Ubisoft suck balls and have no love for the PC platform.

Associate
Trackmania on consoles (that aren't the DS \o/) would be fantastic.

Agreed, although I hope this doesn't mess up the way Nadeo do things on the PC, I do hope it means that they'll be looking at bringing it to consoles.

Top Bottom