Ubisoft deactivating keys it says were "fraudulently" obtained and resold

Associate
A story that might worry a few on here - it looks like Ubi are cutting into the keys business and actively hunting for and killing off rogue keys:

Ubisoft has said it is actively deactivating keys it believes were "fraudulently" obtained and resold via third-party websites.

Over the weekend a number of Uplay users took to the Ubisoft forum to complain about the unexpected removal of Ubisoft games such as Far Cry 4 from their libraries.

Games are much cheaper on third-party websites than officially-supported online shops such as Steam and Origin.

Websites such as Kinguin and G2Play sell games for a significantly cheaper price than likes of Steam, Origin and Uplay. The companies behind them source cheap, region-unlocked keys to sell on to their customers - thus undercutting the major players who stick to official, publisher-approved pricing.

It seems a number of affected customers used third-party website G2A to buy Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity - and it's easy to see why: G2A is selling Assassin's Creed: Unity Uplay keys for $27.87. In the UK, Unity costs £44.99 from Uplay. A Far Cry 4 Uplay key from G2A will set you back $31.24. Far Cry 4 is £44.99 from Uplay.

More

Edit - this is what Ubi said to EG:

"We regularly deactivate keys that were fraudulently obtained and resold. In this case, we are currently investigating the origin of the fraud, and will update customers as soon as we have more information to share. In the meantime, customers should contact the vendor from whom they purchased the key."

Any one here definitely affected? Worried about the sites in general?

It's always been seen as a bit shady, but ultimately legit. If keys are going to be deactivated AFTER purchase, then this could be the end of the sites, basically.

Last edited:
Seeking a refund from the site it was purchased from I imagine.

edit - Also, Ubi really don't know when to quit. I know they're a business and they've got shareholders to keep happy, but with all the negative press they've generated in recent months you'd think they'd want to keep their heads down instead of flipping everyone the bird.

Associate
I have a hard time believing this, with what Ubisoft's been like lately. More like they're sick and tired of people getting their games cheaper and want them to spend the full whack £49.99 (omg) on their crappy uplay store.

Not condoning stolen keys, just wary of Ubisoft's shadyness.

Associate
OP
I have a hard time believing this, with what Ubisoft's been like lately. More like they're sick and tired of people getting their games cheaper and want them to spend the full whack £49.99 (omg) on their crappy uplay store.

Not condoning stolen keys, just wary of Ubisoft's shadyness.

Yeah definitely reeks of this.. would be nice to see some proof.

Soldato
Ubisoft are like the Paypal of game publishers,

Just when everybody hates you because you're expensive and you suck, find more ways to charge even more money and suck even more.

Hate them.

Perhaps if they charged a reasonable amount of money for their games, or released games worth the price they were asking, or had a content delivery system that was worth a damn then people would pay the prices they were asking.

Just a thought if you're reading Ubi. Ah who am I kidding, you're too busy lighting cigars off of £50 notes and quaffing expensive brandy to notice.

Associate
Whilst I agree it's strange to wait x amount of time before realising a key is fraudulent, it's about time someone cracked down on these shady key sites. There's so many of them now most of which have next to zero customer service and shady practices - what are Ubisoft meant to do? Oh they stole a load of cd keys but nevermind..? There are legit licensed key resellers who have great prices such as GMG, getgamesgo, humblestore etc etc and are unaffected by these bans.

Associate
This won't make people pirate their games even more. No siree. Clowns.

Yay, lets punish the customer and not the key seller. Bravo!

Last edited:
Soldato
Fairly much, these resellers don't give a toss about the consumer, their just in the business of fast money.

You might have issues with ubi softs various practices(me included), but they venting over them taking action over this one isn't warranted.

If the products or services aren't of value to you from legitimate sources, then either wait down the line for a discounted price, or move along.

Associate
Yep, a few days ago they deleted my FC4 Season Pass that I'd picked up for about £5.50 on G2A. Two mates also suffered, one loosing the Season Pass and another the full game.

G2A have said I can have a refund but only when I send them proof of why Ubisoft banned my key... so I'm waiting for a reply to my support ticket from Ubi (probably along with several thousand others).

Soldato
If the keys aren't legit in the first place, then why the ** swear words must be fully starred ** can they be activated and why are ubi not going after the knockoff sites...

Bravo ubi, will have absolutely zero problem pirating all your games...now if someone would tell me how to do it. :)

Back
Top Bottom