Ubuntu 9.10 available now!

Suspended
Go! :)

I am downloading both the 32 and 64 bit versions, getting 400 kb/s from a UK mirror.

Can anyone tell me if the same memory limitations apply to 32 bit Linux as 32 bit Windows?

i.e. If I have > 4 GB RAM do I need to use 64 bit linux?

I have only every used 32 Bit Linux on my laptop at home, so it's never been an issue. Now, I am going to install 9.10 on my desktop now as well (AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition, 4 GB RAM, ATI 4870), but am confused as to which version I need.

TIA and sorry for the (potentially) stupid question :)

Associate
Yes you need the 64bit version if you want address more than 4GB of RAM.
Although you will probably not notice any difference.

Since its a clean install you might as well go 64bit.

Suspended
OP
Having done some research, which, with hindsight, I should have carried out before my post, I have discovered that 32 bit Linux can address up to 64 GB RAM.

So that's nice then! :)

The info is here if you're interested.

Associate
Not that I really understand what any of that says but it sounds like a bit of a fudge, but if it works the same then who cares.

The 64GB limit won't last forever mind, I remember when someone said 128MB would be more than you would ever need. Before that someone said 640K of conventional memory was all you would need and if that runs out you can use mem-maker to clear some.

I would go 64bit if I were you.

Edit: Thats a stupid reason to go 64Bit you have got at least a couple of years left.

Associate
fresh install, upgraded from hardy mostly working ok
cron mails were being sent to nobody had to adjust /etc/aliases to fix it.
can't encode to mp3 in vlc, same version as ppa so no help there yet.

Soldato
I've always just used 32bit ubuntu as i have two pc's and a netbook i use it on, now im considering using the 64bit version on the two pc's but i take it that would mean i also need either the 32bit or remix version for the netbook?

Is there much if any performance gain using 64bit as i don't really want to download two iso's?

Soldato
Im pretty sure that is the only 64bit version and works with amd and intel cpu's.

I went ahead and got both the 64bit and netbook remix version of ubuntu and have already installed the pc's, looks good but i prefer the New Wave theme with the customized dark menu's, also the space wallpapers are nice, next must backup and try out the netbook version, i read it should improve graphics performance and no more video tearing! :D

Suspended
OP
Im pretty sure that is the only 64bit version and works with amd and intel cpu's.

I went ahead and got both the 64bit and netbook remix version of ubuntu and have already installed the pc's, looks good but i prefer the New Wave theme with the customized dark menu's, also the space wallpapers are nice, next must backup and try out the netbook version, i read it should improve graphics performance and no more video tearing! :D

Aah - OK :)

I tried the 32 bit version on my desktop last night, I chose to use the propriety AMD driver for my 4870. No problems really, except that any apps I add to the top panel don't appear until a reboot, although the app can be started by clicking on that 'invisible' part of the bar. Strange!

The new themes are nice, but I like the blue 'Mist' theme the most :)

I'd like to see Ubuntu include far more themes by default. I'm not sure why, but there's really little difference between them all, not like Windows themes which can look vastly different.

Permabanned
Is this any good then? Does everything work out of the box, eg. nvidia driver, will my monitor run at its full refresh rate and so on, without needing to mess about?

If you have the 3D desktop effects enabled, does smooth scrolling work in Firefox yet? Last time I tried Ubuntu you could have either/or, but not both.

Soldato
Yeah it's been this way for sometime, the nvidia drivers are just a few clicks away after install, not sure about smooth scroll but i would imagine it's fixed by now.

Permabanned
My LCD runs at 120Hz. The way it used to work, if xorg.conf didn't include the exact vert and horiz frequencies then refresh rates above 60Hz would not be available to select in the GUI.

(Even my previous 19" LCD ran at 75Hz at 1280x1024)

Associate
Aah - OK :)

I tried the 32 bit version on my desktop last night, I chose to use the propriety AMD driver for my 4870. No problems really, except that any apps I add to the top panel don't appear until a reboot, although the app can be started by clicking on that 'invisible' part of the bar. Strange!.

I would recommend using the Linux cats instead, never had that much luck with the propriety option.

Back
Top Bottom