Ubuntu new 4k monitor

Soldato
The OS seems fine and still very responsive but I find at full screen Firefox is really laggy.

Installed Chrome and things are much better but still not 100% but better.

Still feels slower than it should. I knew getting an Nvidia card with Linux was a bad idea. My best experiences with Linux have all been with AMD cards.

Anyway I enabled the Nvidia proprietary driver in the settings: Nvidia driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-455 (proprietary, tested)

Any ideas why Firefox is so laggy?

Is Ubuntu the best OS for using on a 4k display?

Soldato
OP
I've made a mistake haven't I buying an Nvidia card for running under linux?

I am now thinking of returning this GTX 1030 and getting a Radeon 550.

---

Seems someone else had the same problem and tested with a Radeon 550 vs his Titan and found the Radeon much better on Ubuntu.

What annoys me is I KNEW Nvidia on Linux was crap. Never have I had a good experience with Nvidia on Linux. I always end up going AMD.

---

So do you think I am right about thinking of sending this GTX 1030 back and getting a Radeon 550 instead?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, I took out the GTX 1030 and put back my old Radeon 6450 and the performance difference is night and day.

This is a 4k screen though and the Radeon 6450 can only 1920x1080.

So is the case that the GTX 1030 isn't great for Linux or is Ubuntu not able to do 4k?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I think your issue is the nVidia card. I have never used nVidia with Linux, only AMD cards, and I have never had an issue with them.

Don't know about the 4k problem in particular since I'm still at 1080, but I would very much doubt that the Ubuntu Mesa stack would have an issue with that res.

If you still have issues you might want to look at changing your cable:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1253566/highly-unstable-4k-60hz-monitor-display-ubuntu-20-04

More help with scaling:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/04/ubuntu-20-04-fractional-scaling-support-setting

Soldato
OP
I think your issue is the nVidia card. I have never used nVidia with Linux, only AMD cards, and I have never had an issue with them.

Don't know about the 4k problem in particular since I'm still at 1080, but I would very much doubt that the Ubuntu Mesa stack would have an issue with that res.

If you still have issues you might want to look at changing your cable:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1253566/highly-unstable-4k-60hz-monitor-display-ubuntu-20-04

More help with scaling:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/04/ubuntu-20-04-fractional-scaling-support-setting

Yup. With all my AMD cards no issues. With all my Nvidia cards and Linux over the years it has been a horrible experience and I've always ended up giving up and going windows on the Nvidia card.

In the end I have returned the GTX 1030 and bought a RX550. Yet to arrive.

Soldato
OP
OK, just an update if anyone comes across this thread.

Most definitely buy an AMD GPU if you want to run Linux.

Not 100% sure about 4k for general desktop use. Text is very small an webpages end up with a lot of white space.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
Soldato
I'm running an Nvidia 1080Ti on OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 and don't really have any problems to report. I found that setting gfx.webrender.all too true in about:config in Firefox fixed all my laggy issues. Also, make sure you are running the proprietary drivers as the open-source Nvidia drivers are rubbish.

Having said all of that I'll probably go AMD when I finally see a need to upgrade my system.

Edit: This is all on a 4k monitor running at maximum resolution in KDE.

Associate
I'm running a 1050ti with ubuntu 20.04 lts at 1440p and had slow scrolling and lagging same as you, Enabling gfx.webrender.all in firefox about:config page fixed that. Am also using the latest 455 proprietry driver.

Soldato
so how is linux /debian / ubuntu whatever doing with hi-res displays these days ? Can you run a 4K Screen at 2x scaling 'looks like a 1080 screen', but still get glorious hi-res thumbs of image files/ youtube things etc? Is there weird stuff that doesn't work, like on windows now and again ? I use a mac mostly and the hi-res/ hi dpi scaling on the mac is pretty much flawless. Super hi-res but scaled correctly everything.

oap

oap

Associate
Latest builds do seem better with the 3090fe card using nvidia drivers, as per the previous 6700xt using opensource drivers.
Only really have problem with laggy sound if using onboard. Better with the sb card but less options in linux for switching between speakers and mic.

Soldato
OP
If you start watching from about 5.40mins you can see why I say AMD is the way to go on Linux rather than Nvidia.

It just works out of the box. I'm not referring to gaming though as I use my Linux machine as a workstation.

I have only ever had issues with Nvidia GPU's on Linux.

Soldato
If you start watching from about 5.40mins you can see why I say AMD is the way to go on Linux rather than Nvidia.

It just works out of the box. I'm not referring to gaming though as I use my Linux machine as a workstation.

I have only ever had issues with Nvidia GPU's on Linux.

I've got an Nvidia card in my Linux machine and I just can't run Wayland at all. I still need to use X11. Apparently, Nvidia is working on fixing this but how long it takes is anyone's guess.

Having said that it has worked surprisingly well. Still, my next computer upgrade will have an AMD GPU just because their drivers are open source. I can game and do all the usual stuff on Linux (except Wayland) without much bother at all. My next task is to try my hand at some machine learning programming using CUDA so that'll be interesting to see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom