UCAS

Soldato
Hi guys a few question about UCAS, but first ill give you the storey.

Had a uni-interview today for a furniture design and craftmanship course. (im 17, 18 in may) I had an interview for a Uni at 4:30 today which didnt go too well. The guy was a bit of a 'c you next tuesday' if you ask me, when it came to my portfolio which is only small.

He more or less slatted it, pointed out what was wrong etc etc. He seemed to be fairley picking, expecting people to already have the skills to get on the course, but then surely whats the point of the course if you know it all? :confused:

Ive only done Product design (@ A level currently) and resistant materials at GCSE which my teacher lost my work :mad: RM is the only furniture based, apart from the model making in PD where I can use materials such as wood etc. The design feature I though was fairley good, but not enough sketches which I agree on.

Long storey short, i had started to think the last day or two, maybe this wasnt the career choice for me, and might be more of a hobby. This interview hasnt helped, but ive got 2 more to go, so am not letting it get to me.

If I do however decide not to go to uni, can one simpley cancel UCAS applications. Obviousley im going to finish my A levels, the other is in Philosophy and Ethics.

I might wait and see if I get offered any other courses, but the debt is another factor in the back of my mind. Where as going into employment, or traveling with some friends first is an option.

So can one simpley cancel UCAS, although it'd be a stupid thing to do? Not that i have the intentions to at the moment.

Sorry for the long post

Thanks in Advance

Benny C

Permabanned
lol, well yeah...

just because you get offers... doesn't mean you have to accept them? :p

I'm having some second thoughts about software engineering... Due to the long*ness of documentation i might have to do?
but luckly I have also put down business and marketing :D

Soldato
And you can always take a GAP year and reapply through UCAS again once you've got your A-Level results...

And, as said above, you don't have to accept any offer you get.

Soldato
I had no idea you could do a degree in this.
Have you thought about alternative routes if it doesnt work out - an apprenticeship or something? That way you'd probably have a job lined up for afterwards as well.

Soldato
OP
gareth.e said:
lol, well yeah...

just because you get offers... doesn't mean you have to accept them? :p

I'm having some second thoughts about software engineering... Due to the long*ness of documentation i might have to do?
but luckly I have also put down business and marketing :D

lol, i sort of meant, if i wanted to cancel it right now, withdraw my applications, is it something you can do, or do u just have to get the Uni's to deny you a place as such, cant remeber the word for being told they dont want you :p

Soldato
OP
calnen said:
I had no idea you could do a degree in this.
Have you thought about alternative routes if it doesnt work out - an apprenticeship or something? That way you'd probably have a job lined up for afterwards as well.

I have considered it, but being 17 my will power is minimal, plus at current im not sure if its something I still want to do. I work part time at weekends at halfords, and i quite enjoy the atmosphere of retail, such as Sat Nav's etc. So im considering maybe going into retail or management. Obviousley I have no qualifications for this (management) and with realisticaly 160 points at best, I dont think a course on it is going to come by my way.

Last edited:
Associate
I do product design and we do furniture design modules. Can I ask which uni you had your interview?

I hated the whole ucas thing, Hated the whole system. I started with it and got offered a place at two uni's then cancelled it all saying I was going to wait til next year. Instead I just picked out the uni I liked most and waited til the end of that same summer when clearing started and just rang the uni direct and asked if there were places left, explaining I intended to take a year out but changed plans. I got a place straight away.... and avoided the silly system of ucas.

Soldato
OP
Lowra said:
I do product design and we do furniture design modules. Can I ask which uni you had your interview?

I hated the whole ucas thing, Hated the whole system. I started with it and got offered a place at two uni's then cancelled it all saying I was going to wait til next year. Instead I just picked out the uni I liked most and waited til the end of that same summer when clearing started and just rang the uni direct and asked if there were places left, explaining I intended to take a year out but changed plans. I got a place straight away.... and avoided the silly system of ucas.

toooshay. It was BCUC, Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College. It really is a college trying to be a Uni. He read/looked at my AS coursework in less than 30 seconds, i dont think he really cared, was the end of the day, and i didnt really want to go there n e way, tis a bit of a scum hole compared to Lincoln which is where i wana go. Sorry if ive offended anyone who goes to BCUC :p

Associate
Benny06 said:
lol, i sort of meant, if i wanted to cancel it right now, withdraw my applications, is it something you can do, or do u just have to get the Uni's to deny you a place as such, cant remeber the word for being told they dont want you :p

You can cancel very easily, just ring up UCAS and they'll withdraw you're application. I did it last year, and then re-applied for this year.

Soldato
OP
Fergie said:
You can cancel very easily, just ring up UCAS and they'll withdraw you're application. I did it last year, and then re-applied for this year.

thanks, ill have a long hard think.

Back
Top Bottom