UEFA Champions League/Europa League 15/16/17 Feb *** Spoilers ***

rating_5.gif

Going to be tough for AC at White Hart Lane. Without their hardman Gattuso they'll have to resort to softy and general nice bloke Mark van Bommel instead. Shame.

Cup tied so no Van Bommel :D

Edit: Oh nevermind said a couple post above

Great result for Spurs despite a pretty boring game in terms of the play itself.

I used to have massive, massive respect for Gattuso but he's an absolute disgrace. I can understand the odd moment of madness but he knew exactly what he was doing and what he wanted to achieve.

Spurs should spank them at the Lane on this evidence.

Gennaro Gattuso admits he was out of order after headbutting assistant Tottenham coach Joe Jordan in the aftermath of Spurs' 1-0 victory at AC Milan.

After already clashing with Jordan during the UEFA Champions League last-16 encounter, Gattuso lost his temper following the final whistle at the San Siro and had to be pulled away from the Spurs coach by his team-mates.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp branded the midfielder as 'crazy' after the incident, and Gattuso, who is likely to face UEFA repercussions, admits he was in the wrong.

"I lost control," Gattuso told reporters. "There is no excuse for what I have done. I take my responsibilities for that.

"I was nervous. I didn't want to argue with players and I did it with him, but I was wrong to do what I have done."

The incident soured what was an otherwise glorious night for Tottenham at the San Siro, with the north Londoners likely to be full of confidence going into the second leg at White Hart Lane.

Gattuso will miss that encounter after earning a booking in the second half against Spurs which will see him serve a one-match ban.

As well as injuries we have Jenas suspended which means that centrally we only have Sandro and Palacios available. Thankfully Sandro showed in the game against Sunderland that he has finally got to grips with the Premier League. Against Milan the game won't be played at the same intensity and we should see the best of him against an ageing Milan midfield.

Winning the midfield battle will be absolutely key, Sandro has won the South American equivalent of the Champions League but this will be arguably the toughest test of his and Palacios's careers.

That is actually one of the best calls on a game I've ever seen. Sandro and Palacios were everything Stag has said was required.

If anything, I'd say Sandro was even more as well. Several times he got back and made important saves. Quality player we've got right there I think.

Great night, plus I have Arsenal taking a pasting tomorrow night to look forward to.... Squalchi vs Messi oh dear :D

Whos he??...this Squalchi fella your talking about??...dont think such a player exists for Arsenal;):p

Anyhow good result for the Spurs....but tbh it was either going to be a lame draw or a win but watching them play, i could see the Spurs getting a win...shameful at how terrible AC were, they had so many chances but nothing ever came of them...shame really although i do hope they turn it around at WHL but cant see it.

Gattuso is a just a pure nutcase:p...he looks the part too but that was some bat **** crazy stuff from him....he does look like hes trouble everytime i see him play....still surprised that hes playing along with Seedorf for AC.

Meh, Spurs, like against Chelsea/Utd/etc just couldn't put the game away while Milan were utter utter rubbish in the first half.

Second half and it was role reversal, dominance by Milan but inability to do a damn thing with it, and really it was the fact Milan were pushing up with so much of the ball that left them so open to that counter attack.

yellows and reds should have been shown, Flamini should have seen red, though the actual contact was more Corluka kicking the studs, had Flamini been standing and just kicked the ball the same thing could have happened. Palacios should have seen red aswell, Pienaar fouled all game long, and Gattuso finally saw his yellow for winning the ball, then Pienaar putting his studs into Gattuso's shin, the reaction was hilarious but completely understandable. Must have been Pienaar's 5th/6th foul and Gattuso gets a yellow.

LIkewise Crouch was fairly lucky as after his/Gattuso's little spat it was clearly a revenge foul on Gattuso.

Gattuso was well out of order on Jordan but then Jordan was stepping onto the pitch and I assume hurling abuse by the looks of it, though can't tell what was said.

Overall quality of the football was pretty diabolical. Milan couldn't work the wings, or I should say wouldn't work the wings, sideways passing for ages then a long ball to Zlatan, rubbish mostly. Crouch was rubbish throughout, Pienaar apart from fouling was worthless, VDV was strangely very quiet except the couple shots in the second half, one rubbish, one close to genius.

Do you watch football matches or just spout random rubbish?

Meh, Spurs, like against Chelsea/Utd/etc just couldn't put the game away while Milan were utter utter rubbish in the first half.

But didn't lose those games? Bit like Arsenal not being able to put Newcastle away? Spurs did exactly what they needed to do, ensure they left the San Siro with the tie still in touch, the 1-0 win was a major plus. Milan being utter rubbish in the first half was down to the fantastic closing down play from the Spurs midfield, oh, and Crouch.

Also, if you actually watch the Palacios incident, the referee didn't see it as he had just given a foul on Gomes by Yepes and was sorting his booking out, also, if you see the angles offered you will actually see there was no contact.

Gattuso was disgraceful, and some of the sportsmanship from the Milan players equally so, it doesn't matter what JJ said to him, there is nothing in the rules that allow you to react like that - will be interesting to see what UEFA do.

All I can say is that after the 1st leg of a potentially difficult tie Spurs are still very much in the Champions League, lets see if we can say the same about their NL neighbours this time tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom