UEFA Champions League Final Liverpool v Real Madrid ** spoilers ** [Saturday 28th May 2022]

Don
Assuming VVD and Salah will be fine

Fabinho also sounds promising

Thiago seems to be the big worry
Open training is taking place now and of those only Thiago isn't there. It's a big relief that Fabinho looks to be fine but it's going to be touch and go for Thiago.

Caporegime
Liverpool look tired and I'm not surprised given their season. They've played every game possible this season. I hope Klopp gave them a couple of days off after their last PL game. I doubt Thiago will play which is a shame as he's brilliant but we have the depth. I hope Diaz starts too, He's been electric since he joined and will put the fear of God into Madrid's RB and likely keep him in their own half.

Soldato
Liverpool look tired and I'm not surprised given their season. They've played every game possible this season. I hope Klopp gave them a couple of days off after their last PL game. I doubt Thiago will play which is a shame as he's brilliant but we have the depth. I hope Diaz starts too, He's been electric since he joined and will put the fear of God into Madrid's RB and likely keep him in their own half.
L'pool played 63 games this season, not sure about RM? 38 in La Liga + ?? Must be less though surely. 6 day break for L'pool will help but RM appear to have full rested squad. Guts me to say it, but 4th CL cup for Ancelotti looks a real possibility.

Caporegime
If they didn’t think he’d have a chance then they’d likely just rest him. Sounds like he might play.

Ive been watching some Bayern clips when he was there, he played more forward and scored quite a few compared to at Liverpool. I’d love to see him further forward Next season.

Caporegime
If Thiago's fit, the only question will be Matip or Konate to partner VVD.

If Thiago's not fit, I really really really hope Keita doesn't get another chance against Real. His previous two first half performances have been two of the worst I've seen in a Liverpool shirt and I think someone else deserves the chance instead now.

Man of Honour
I suspect we will have a fair few who are not going to be capable of doing 90mins (let alone 120), man management and the right subs at the right time are going to be key to winning this.

Don
There's 5 subs in the CL so doing that's a lot easier than the PL and allows us to take a bit of a gamble on Thiago if he's not 100%.

As Pigeon says, the big decision is who partners VVD. Matip's the safe option. He's less likely to make a big error that could cost us where as Konate's still got a mad moment in him as we saw vs Wolves on Sunday. On the flip side, Konate's extra pace in dealing with Vinicius down our right could prove vital. He's also a bigger threat at set-plays and we saw Chelsea cause Real a lot of problems from corners. My gut feeling is that mistake vs Wolves is going to cost Konate and Matip will start but I wouldn't be shocked if we went the other way too.

Man of Honour
There's 5 subs in the CL so doing that's a lot easier than the PL and allows us to take a bit of a gamble on Thiago if he's not 100%.

As Pigeon says, the big decision is who partners VVD. Matip's the safe option. He's less likely to make a big error that could cost us where as Konate's still got a mad moment in him as we saw vs Wolves on Sunday. On the flip side, Konate's extra pace in dealing with Vinicius down our right could prove vital. He's also a bigger threat at set-plays and we saw Chelsea cause Real a lot of problems from corners. My gut feeling is that mistake vs Wolves is going to cost Konate and Matip will start but I wouldn't be shocked if we went the other way too.
I think I'd go with Konate tbh, as you say he is pacier and he is probably the best header of the ball from corners out of all 3 of them

Don
VVD's the best for me and by a distance but Konate's certainly got the physical attributes to dominate at set-plays more than Matip though.

Caporegime
Matip's far better on the ball though, he's basically the defensive version of Messi with those magic feet. Two excellent defenders and both offer something completely different, good position to be in.

I'd personally go with Matip, I think he's better at holding the line than Konate and he's more likely to dribble through Real and Rabona it over the keeper from 18 yards out.

Back
Top Bottom