UEFA Euro 2024 Group C ** spoilers ** (Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, ENGLAND)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fodens issue is that he is part of a well oiled City team that dominates pretty much every game and he always has a host of options around him and loads of movement. In an England shirt he is playing in his own half most of the time and most of his options are square and backwards. If Southgate is going to play that way he should play someone else.

Fodens issue is that he is part of a well oiled City team that dominates pretty much every game and he always has a host of options around him and loads of movement. In an England shirt he is playing in his own half most of the time and most of his options are square and backwards. If Southgate is going to play that way he should play someone else.
I also think that he's our best player in tight spaces and on the half turn. We struggle to play through midfield. Let him play in a position which allows him to help out with that.

One of the things we struggled with was Serbia really pressing up on our defence, and playing a high line, in the second half. They could do that as we had nobody going in behind. I think there was a huge argument for Watkins coming on, but failing that Gordon should have done to offer that threat.

I'd play Rice and Bellingham in a double pivot, with Foden at 10, and try to have Stones and the two midfielders pinging it into Foden's feet.

If only Southgate was allowed a phone a friend lifeline to get some half-time advice!
Even the OH who hardly watches football was like he still the manager?!
She still remembers 18 and 21 run and him being useless at changing the game.

Pretty much spot on re: Foden.

When Foden is in the middle for City, there is always someone to his left (Doku or Grealish or Gvardiol) in support. Southgate hasn't picked anyone on the left side that stays out wide to give him that outlet so the only thing he can do and all has has done is run inside into traffic. Because the left side isn't stretched, the right back also can go inside and follow him with no risk to him.

Last edited:
If only Southgate was allowed a phone a friend lifeline to get some half-time advice!
Even the OH who hardly watches football was like he still the manager?!
She still remembers 18 and 21 run and him being useless at changing the game.

or the England players are over hyped, Serbia looked to have the higher stamina and endurance for chunks of the 2nd half and were unlucky not to break England.

I also think that he's our best player in tight spaces and on the half turn. We struggle to play through midfield. Let him play in a position which allows him to help out with that.

Unfortunately thats not that useful when you are playing with most of your team behind you. When you watch him for City he is great at what you are saying but thats because he can play one twos, hes usually facing up to defenders and has options he knows he can use as an escape hatch. When all your escape hatches and options are behind you, there is little point turning and running into the next defender.

Palmer makes more sense than Foden, he's had a season playing in a disjointed Chelsea team and has regularly created chances out of nothing. Foden can't do this.

Trent in midfield is a pretty odd thing to be doing as well, against any half decent attack he will be exposed quite badly. I'm not sure his excellent passing is worth the trade off...

Palmer makes more sense than Foden, he's had a season playing in a disjointed Chelsea team and has regularly created chances out of nothing. Foden can't do this.

Trent in midfield is a pretty odd thing to be doing as well, against any half decent attack he will be exposed quite badly. I'm not sure his excellent passing is worth the trade off...

It just makes zero sense. Foden is deadly playing around the opposition box with movement around him. TAA wants players running forward at pace to ping balls to. We say deep yesterday for much of the second half with no pace and little pressure around their box. Square pegs, round holes.

What Southgate really wants is a team with fast wingers and forwards and the rest of the team is defensive minded. Thats his wet dream.

It just makes zero sense. Foden is deadly playing around the opposition box with movement around him. TAA wants players running forward at pace to ping balls to. We say deep yesterday for much of the second half with no pace and little pressure around their box. Square pegs, round holes.

What Southgate really wants is a team with fast wingers and forwards and the rest of the team is defensive minded. Thats his wet dream.

There was a 5 minute period in the second half after TAA had gone off, that Foden drifted into the center for about 5 mins. All of a sudden he was pinging passes around and making some play. Then its like someone told him off, he moved back more left sided and it was back to Serbia having the ball. Then he gave the ball away further over on the left, twice in the next 5 mins.

IMO either play him in front of Rice to combine with Bellingham with Gordon on the wing, or don't play him at all and put Palmer on.

Give it a go against Denmark.. if he still doesn't do what everyone knows he can do.. well. At least give the guy a chance in the position everyone knows he normally excels in.

Last edited:
There was a 5 minute period in the second half after TAA had gone off, that Foden drifted into the center for about 5 mins. All of a sudden he was pinging passes around and making some play. Then its like someone told him off, he moved back more left sided and it was back to Serbia having the ball. Then he gave the ball away further over on the left, twice in the next 5 mins.

IMO either play him in front of Rice to combine with Bellingham with Gordon on the wing, or don't play him at all and put Palmer on.

Give it a go against Denmark.. if he still doesn't do what everyone knows he can do.. well. At least give the guy a chance in the position everyone knows he normally excels in.
I think we'll see that at some point but I reckon Southgate will be waiting for a 'bigger' team and leave TAA out for them.

I'm not sure it's even necessarily the position, I think what is more of a problem is when attacking players from attacking teams are asked to play like they're usually in a bottom of the league team constantly fighting against relegation.

Let them attack, it's how they're used to playing.

He does drop back a lot when the team is under pressure, no doubt about that and he’s not the quickest, that’s why you need lively attacking players to allow you to get back up the pitch which is why it’s even more strange he didn’t bring on Gordon or Palmer. Grealish obviously not an option. Had England conceded and were looking for a winner in the last ten then you want Kane on the pitch.

Given our midfield strength - we don't need Kane to play from deep. We need him to push the defence back, so that our midfield has more space.

Everyone knocking England last night this Belgium game is showing how tricky opening games are. Get the win and move on.

For the first 30 mins of the last nights game I thought England played exceptionally well, granted the other 60 were forgettable but they defended well.

Everyone knocking England last night this Belgium game is showing how tricky opening games are. Get the win and move on.

For the first 30 mins of the last nights game I thought England played exceptionally well, granted the other 60 were forgettable but they defended well.
It's not the 1-0, it was the misplaced passes and getting deeper and deeper that bothered me.

We were lucky by the end for it to remain 1-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom