UEFA Europa League Final Eintracht Frankfurt v Rangers ** spoilers ** [Wednesday 18th May 2022]

Soldato
Heartbroken to lose in the final but once it goes to penalties its 50/50 - Ryan Kent should have scored in ET - great run to the final and well beyond what we expected.
I though Frankfurt had the better of it during the 90 minutes but Rangers were so on top during ET they really shouldn't have let it get to penalties, Kent's chance really shouldn't have given the keeper any opportunity to make that save but as you said penalties is a lottery, 11 good\great penalties it's just the 1 poor one and unfortunately sometimes a poor penalty still goes in but Ramsey's wasn't lucky enough for that.

Permabanned
Imagine crying over a game of football jeez

Bit of a silly thing to say. Football means everything to a lot of people.

Felt terrible for them last night. Though for a large part of the game they where the better team and given Rangers history it would have been nice for them to take it home.

Soldato
Bit of a silly thing to say. Football means everything to a lot of people.

Felt terrible for them last night. Though for a large part of the game they where the better team and given Rangers history it would have been nice for them to take it home.
Not really it's only a game, 22 people kicking a bag of wind about, you can feel deflated and sick but for a grown man to cry because they lost a game is really pathetic in my eyes, I can completely understand children being upset and crying but come on a grown man, there really is a lot more going on right now to be worried about than losing a football game.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Not really it's only a game, 22 people kicking a bag of wind about, you can feel deflated and sick but for a grown man to cry because they lost a game is really pathetic in my eyes, I can completely understand children being upset and crying but come on a grown man, there really is a lot more going on right now to be worried about than losing a football game.

I get what you are saying but thats a bit like the argument that someone shouldn't spend loads of money on a hobby because you can't see the appeal. Some people spend most of their disposable income on their team. Some people will probably never see Rangers get near to a proper European trophy again in their lifetime.

There are all sorts of things people care deeply about and coming up with a list of valid and invalid ones is just a bit silly.

Permabanned

Not at all. Football is all some people have. It's what keeps them going in the week and it's where there wages go every month. There team means everything to them and seeing them get so far in a tournament such as this could possibly be a once in a lifetime thing.

Of course there's 'a lot more going on right now', but empathy and emotional investment in any amount of concerning world events DOES NOT and SHOULD NOT preclude you from caring about the things you love. It's not an 'either/or' issue and thank gad, otherwise mental health for most people would be down the toilet.

My GF had a similar opinion to yourself until we watched 'Sunderland Til I Die', then she got it. It really is the best documentary on the sport in my opinion. Really get's to the heart of what the games about.

Soldato
It's an emotional experience and disappointment at losing in that manner is a very human reaction. Some people cried, some shrugged their shoulders. There were lots of emotions in between.

Personally, I wouldn't consider that pathetic in any way.

You mentioned children and grown men; what about the women who cried? Were they pathetic also?

Don
It's not just a game. Following a football club can be like a religion to some people. I like to think I'm a very calm, pragmatic person but supporting Liverpool puts me through the mill emotionally. Take Sunday for example, my head is telling me that City will comfortably beat Villa but I still have that little bit of hope that all logic says I shouldn't have and no matter how small our chances are, I'll still be a bit gutted if the miracle doesn't happen. I certainly won't be shrugging my shoulders and saying it's just a game.

Permabanned
You definitely seem to be one of the more balanced people on here, but as you say you can only ever be so balanced...

One of my best mates is a Liverpool fan and we always talk about which of us has it harder. Me as a Villa supporter who've been a mid table side since the O'Neil days, always promised more but never really getting there, or him supporting a club who've reached those dizzying heights but has to face some sort of crushing disappointment one way or another almost every season. Christ knows what it must be like to be a Spurs fan...

Associate
Felt bad for Rangers until I saw what their fans were doing before and after the game. Scum.
What behaviour exactly?

The only reports I can find are Eintracht fans starting trouble and a few Rangers fans reacting. On the whole, the police have said there was one arrest, which was also an Eintracht fan and have praised the fans who attended from both teams.

There's one video doing the rounds, which is clearly Eintracht fans goading Rangers fans in a bar. Likewise before the game, they were letting off flares/fireworks into groups of Rangers fans sat in a bar.

Even Stan Collymore, a serial hater of all things Rangers, has said that Spanish journalists sent him some videos of trouble, but they were all due to the Eintracht fans.

Last edited:
Associate
Given where we were ten years ago, I'm proud of the players for getting us to another European final. In the same ten year period, no other Scottish club has managed this, despite one in particular having years of free prize money.

I though Frankfurt had the better of it during the 90 minutes but Rangers were so on top during ET they really shouldn't have let it get to penalties, Kent's chance really shouldn't have given the keeper any opportunity to make that save but as you said penalties is a lottery, 11 good\great penalties it's just the 1 poor one and unfortunately sometimes a poor penalty still goes in but Ramsey's wasn't lucky enough for that.
That's pretty much my view on the match too. Eintracht probably should have won in the 90. Rangers had small periods of possesion and pressure, but overall, Eintracht deserved the trophy.

Man of Honour
Well I think one thing is that the behaviour of the Rangers fans can be fully commended, no trouble, no arrests of the Scots but a few Frankfurt fans were arrested for attacking a police officer.

Sounds like conditions in the stadium itself were pretty appalling though, folk had suncream and battery powerbanks taken off them (despite previously being told by UEFA to bring them to make sure their phone has charge) - bottles, etc all taken.
Then there was a serious lack of water/juice available and concession stands just closed, it got to the point that fans were having to drink water from the taps in the toilets and then they turned that off too, disgraceful for a stadium hosting a European Final.

Still gutted though, although the more I look at it, the more that I think the Kent miss was the bigger chance, penalties were always going to be a lottery.

Soldato
Well I think one thing is that the behaviour of the Rangers fans can be fully commended, no trouble, no arrests of the Scots but a few Frankfurt fans were arrested for attacking a police officer.

Sounds like conditions in the stadium itself were pretty appalling though, folk had suncream and battery powerbanks taken off them (despite previously being told by UEFA to bring them to make sure their phone has charge) - bottles, etc all taken.
Then there was a serious lack of water/juice available and concession stands just closed, it got to the point that fans were having to drink water from the taps in the toilets and then they turned that off too, disgraceful for a stadium hosting a European Final.

Still gutted though, although the more I look at it, the more that I think the Kent miss was the bigger chance, penalties were always going to be a lottery.

Totally agree mate.

And yeah, every time I think of the game, it’s heartbreaking!! Really is..

Back
Top Bottom