UEFA plans third European club competition from 2021

Soldato
it would be if they stopped 2,3,4 place team from being in the 'champions' league

champions in the champions league
2,3,4 in the europa league
cup winners back in the cup winners cup.

Never gonna happen with the sponsorship money for the Champions League, imagine it not having Real Madrid or Barcelona in, major sponsors would be spitting feathers, it's the reason the Champions League was formed in the 1st place all those years ago.

There's more chance of there being a European League to replace it than them reducing the Champions League to just the 1st place team from each country.

Man of Honour
In some ways it makes sense because the Europa league is 'too big' in the sense that there are a lot of matches, dropping it to 32 teams would help with that whilst of course bringing in the third competition to ensure plenty of teams are involved.
I guess the problems will come if it means a lot of trips to far flung places and poor attendances, I may be talking rubbish but I seem to recall some clubs involved in the Europa saying that they didn't make any money from some of the fixtures?

As for the European Super League, it has been talked about for ages but I think it does pose quite a lot of logistical challenges. I guess you could limit domestic top flights to 16 clubs as per what UEFA recommended many many years ago, then have say 16 clubs in the European Super League and not participating in domestic cups, so a total of 60 games a season. Needs a lot of thinking about and probably no ideal solution. I think the current CL format is generally working out OK for the money men though?

Back
Top Bottom