UEFA Super Cup - Liverpool v Chelsea – Wednesday 14th August ** spoilers **

Caporegime
Europe related. Celtic got knocked out of the CL qualifiers by Cluj tonight. If only Celtic received as much money as teams in the Romanian league right @Psycho Sonny?

Did you watch the game?

Manager to blame. He played a number 10 at left back. When we have just signed a defender for £3m to play that position. Also we had a £7m player on the bench next to him who is also a defender. So £10m spent on 2 defenders both on bench. Defies belief to then see us lose 4 goals at home to those clowns.

A bit like playing Firmino at left back. Having Robertson on the bench. Then benching Van Dijk to play Skrtel there instead. Team wasn't set up right and it showed. Neither carrying injuries so it beggars belief. I listened to the build up to the game and it was all about formation as nobody had a clue with the starting 11 he picked. And then who out of that 11 was going to play left back. Rather than picking a holding midfielder he picks an attacking mid. We also have another player who has played LB when Tierney has been injured he didn't make the starting 11 or bench again beggars belief.

It's as if he wanted us to lose.

Soldato
Ridiculous that they would host this match in Turkey. They should either have it as a 2 legged affair or have it at Wembley.

European finals, especially the Supercup absolutely nothing to do with supporters any more. UEFA want just enough to attend cheer goals, the rest are supposed to watch it on TV. This match was always played in Monaco with half a dozen tickets each allocated anyway. I'm not defending it, but that's the way it is.

The flights are stupid, especially coming back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No but I found it funny after you were telling us how good Celtic are and that it was the PL's money that was holding Celtic back.

They should have won that by a country mile. Again the board cheaped out on Rodgers replacement. He's not a manager. It's going to end up costing us 10 in a row. we might not equal 9 if this keeps up.

Rodgers would have won that game comfortably. They are more than good enough to be in the champions league. Just really bad decisions by the board and manager.

Which you could also say has led to the detriment of a certain team that dominated the PL for the past 20 years.

Caporegime
Are Rangers close enough to really challenge this year do you think @Psycho Sonny?

With Lennon in charge it's going to be theirs to win. He isn't a manager. The same thing happened at Ibrox when McGregor was deployed at left back.

In the old firm it will show. I'm telling you now if Lennon plays 2 or 3 in the midfield we will lose. If he plays 4 or 5 we win.

Last night he had so many options 352, 442 diamond, 442 normal. he effectively went 433, with no left back. They pressed us we got caught light in midfield with one of our best midfielders being at left back.

Our best team right now is

Edouard - Griffiths

----- Christie ----

Mc Gregor -- Ntcham

----- Brown ---

Boli - Julien - Ajer - El Ahmad

----- Bain ----

With Rogic, Hayes, Forrest, Sinclair (or Johnstone), Gordon and Simunovic on the bench

In possession switch to

Eddy -- Griff

Boli - Christie - Ahmad

-- Mc gregor - Ntcham --

Julien - Brown - Ajer

similar to Chelsea and Barca of old

out of possession

Eddy - Griff

Mcgregor - Christie - Brown - Ntcham

Boli - Julien - Ajer - Ahmad

2 banks of 4

if he continues to play 433 / 4231 and playing players out of position and not using our best players then i can't see how we win the league. people are saying he didn't know how to play mcgragor, ntcham, brown and christie in the same team last night. which you can't if you are playing 433 or 4231. 442 diamond is needed that changes fluidly throughout the game depending on what is happening and how it's going.

The board screwed us all over by appointing Lennon. I'd have taken Rafa, Martinez, O'neill, Villa boas and Clarke over him any day. If they wanted to be cheap Clarke was the perfect manager for them. They can't be forgiven for that screw up.

How can you spend £10m on 2 defenders and have them on the bench with no recognised defender playing left back?

Caporegime
With Lennon in charge it's going to be theirs to win. He isn't a manager. The same thing happened at Ibrox when McGregor was deployed at left back.

In the old firm it will show. I'm telling you now if Lennon plays 2 or 3 in the midfield we will lose. If he plays 4 or 5 we win.

Last night he had so many options 352, 442 diamond, 442 normal. he effectively went 433, with no left back. They pressed us we got caught light in midfield with one of our best midfielders being at left back.

Our best team right now is

Edouard - Griffiths

----- Christie ----

Mc Gregor -- Ntcham

----- Brown ---

Boli - Julien - Ajer - El Ahmad

----- Bain ----

With Rogic, Hayes, Forrest, Sinclair (or Johnstone), Gordon and Simunovic on the bench

In possession switch to

Eddy -- Griff

Boli - Christie - Ahmad

-- Mc gregor - Ntcham --

Julien - Brown - Ajer

similar to Chelsea and Barca of old

out of possession

Eddy - Griff

Mcgregor - Christie - Brown - Ntcham

Boli - Julien - Ajer - Ahmad

2 banks of 4

if he continues to play 433 / 4231 and playing players out of position and not using our best players then i can't see how we win the league. people are saying he didn't know how to play mcgragor, ntcham, brown and christie in the same team last night. which you can't if you are playing 433 or 4231. 442 diamond is needed that changes fluidly throughout the game depending on what is happening and how it's going.

The board screwed us all over by appointing Lennon. I'd have taken Rafa, Martinez, O'neill, Villa boas and Clarke over him any day. If they wanted to be cheap Clarke was the perfect manager for them. They can't be forgiven for that screw up.

How can you spend £10m on 2 defenders and have them on the bench with no recognised defender playing left back?

Interesting, thanks for the in depth reply!

Back
Top Bottom