UEFA World Cup Qualifiers & International Friendlies **spoilers** [1st - 8th Sept 2021]

Caporegime
Ronaldo slapped Coleman after he kicked the ball of the penalty spot and the bent ***** in VAR haven't even reviewed it. Clearest violent conduct you're ever likely to see.

Caporegime
It's still violent conduct in the same way the penalty was given for a "foul" where there was hardly any contact and yet Fernandez went down holding his leg.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Prime example of what I was talking about the other day with him forcing results out of nothing, proper class!

He was crap the rest of the game though, taking pot shots from everywhere and hoping that the 4 Ireland players between himself and goal would dive out of the way.

This is the problem with ageing world class talent. They can still do the business and win you games but the question is quite often, "would you have needed that moment of magic if they weren't playing". Would Portugal be a better team if Ronaldo wasn't in it. Would they play better and create more chances if they weren't indulging Ronaldos ego for 90 minutes every game.

Soldato
He was crap the rest of the game though, taking pot shots from everywhere and hoping that the 4 Ireland players between himself and goal would dive out of the way.

This is the problem with ageing world class talent. They can still do the business and win you games but the question is quite often, "would you have needed that moment of magic if they weren't playing". Would Portugal be a better team if Ronaldo wasn't in it. Would they play better and create more chances if they weren't indulging Ronaldos ego for 90 minutes every game.
I'm not sure there'd be another Portugal player who would have ensured it was an easy win though, who would you replace him with? I get what your saying, what with everyone referencing the aging Rooney as an example recently, but Ronaldo isn't Rooney. I think (and hope) it won't be like that in the coming PL games.

Plus, this game was him trying to break the record, so if it was me i'd probably have been taking potshots too! :)

Let me be positive for once! :D It's a rarity with Ole at the wheel!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Portugal were just poor on the whole, nothing to do with Ronaldo being in the side.

Was that the same when United were suffering due to indulging an ageing Rooney? If the manager has to basically indulge one player to do what he wants then your ability to manage is massively damaged. You are essentially hoping that Ronaldo wins you the game. Thats your gameplan. Football is a team game so if you have one player at the sharp end of your team who isn't playing for the team it can be catastrophic. Why make a run you would normally make when no one will pass to you? Why bust a gut to get into the box when you know hes going to take a pot shot from 40 yards instead of try to pick you out.

Teams in the modern game cannot afford to carry even a single player and hope to play at anything like their full ability. Portugal have an amazing squad but I haven't seen them play well for quite a while now as a team.

Back
Top Bottom