**UK FIRST: DELL U2913WM SUPER-WIDE LED MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE!!**

Associate
Good for FPS games that will render at those resolutions :) wish I had money for it.

For FPS games I would have preferred more than 21:9 height on the u2913WM, ideally 21:10 to match more expensive IPS panels, otherwise paying more for the 2560 x 1600 panels is the obvious choice if your flash for cash. Nice OcUK are under-cutting the manufacturer by £21.61 :)

No idea when 4k will arrive for PCs but hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. Btw, the worlds first 21:9 monitor (IPS-LED) is the 29-incher LG EA93 with a response timing of 5ms and 100% sRGB colour gamut, specs here.

Soldato
As much as I would like one, but with that kind of price...people can actually get 6 22" 1920 res monitor for Eyefinity 6 with 5760x2160 res (but how well AMD support their graphic cards for that is a separate question :p).

Yea the borders would be annoying, but just saying...

If only these were at <£400 :p

Associate
Does anyone have a link to any videos or pictures of this while someone is gaming. Would love to see how it looks.

There's a lack of videos for the monitor because it's just been released, even those on YT are faked 2560x1080 (from 2560x1600/1440) because all they've done is adjusted the resolution config which creates a horrible barrel distortion because of the large FOV which is why it's unfair to link to them because it's not a true representation of them. Sounds to me like rjkoneill does indeed need to test one these out :)

The founder of WSGF is going to post reviews/videos when he gets his, and they are even talking of possibly daisy-chaining 3 of them. Come on OcUK, there a chance for a World's First!

Up to 4x 1920x1200 via DP1.2
DP1.2 bandwidth = 17.28 Gbit/s
4x1920x1200 = 13.27Gbit/s
3x2560x1080 = 11.94Gbit/s
Should be a non issue.

Soldato
Am I the only one thinking that the vertical space is pants. I'd like a TV at this resolution/aspect ratio but a computer monitor.. I'm not convinced.

Same here.

So is the height the same as a 24" 1920x1080? Interesting.

By my calculations, the visible screen height is 11.4 inches, vs the 12.7 inches of a 24" 1920x1200, so it's considerably shorter and about 1/3rd wider, 26.7" vs 20.4". It's certainly not the equivalent of dual monitor (only about 50% wider than a typical 20" 1080p monitor).

Interesting concept though, especially for movie watching since it matches the ratio perfectly.

Associate
I was about to order the 27 and now this is here... I still think the increased vertical resolution of the 27 is more useful for CAD work which is what these are aimed at, realistically. I'm running one of the 30s at the moment and I'm already struggling for realestate but these are very well priced I think.

Associate
It depends.

Aren't movies generally 21:9 so they'd fill the screen.

16:9 TV shows would have black borders at the sides or the image would be stretched.

I thought movies on a 21:9 screen would have black borders at the sides as it's wider than 16:9... What ratio are cinema screens? I don't think you will see any extra at the sides, so i think the image will be stretched to fill the screen (but i could be wrong?). Setting a 16:9 TV to 'Just Scan' or 'Full Scan' usually shows the entire image without it looking stretched (when the video is filmed for widescreen).

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought movies on a 21:9 screen would have black borders at the sides as it's wider than 16:9... What ratio are cinema screens? I don't think you will see any extra at the sides, so i think the image will be stretched to fill the screen (but i could be wrong?). Setting a 16:9 TV to 'Just Scan' or 'Full Scan' usually shows the entire image without it looking stretched (when the video is filmed for widescreen).

It's rare for movies to be 16:9 these days.

2.35:1 (roughly 21:9) is much much more common.

For most movies, this screen would look absolutely fantastic and would have no bars at all.

TV is a different story, virtually all widescreen TV will be 16:9.

Associate
Yep. Basically this would be absolutely killer for TV and film production and DCC in general, since we're mostly working to that kind of aspect ratio in our projects. The 30" is still king but I think this probably outshines the 27" in every way, really.

Associate
It's rare for movies to be 16:9 these days.

2.35:1 (roughly 21:9) is much much more common.

For most movies, this screen would look absolutely fantastic and would have no bars at all.

TV is a different story, virtually all widescreen TV will be 16:9.

I understand now... 21:9 should eliminate the black top & bottom bars you sometimes see when viewing movies on a 16:9 screen (i totally forgot about the top and bottom bars :)).

Think i'll wait for these 'super wide' screens to become a bit more mainstream as the price is a bit high for me at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom