**UK FIRST: DELL U2913WM SUPER-WIDE LED MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE!!**

Soldato
I actually own one of these, but I've just hung it on the wall and found out my displayport cable is too short (5m).

Will HDMI do 2560x1080 @ 60hz? I know it's capable, but don't want to buy one and then find out the monitor is internally limited or something..

edit, I just moved the room around, nvm.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Actually really impressed by this panel - its ended up atleast temporarily replacing my BenQ XL2420T.

With gaming mode and a couple of other processing features disabled the input latency is decent - the odd time I notice it but 99% of the time its only very very slightly worse than the BenQ - tho with default settings is quite noticeable.

On fast view changes it actually stabalises faster than the BenQ which left me completely gob smacked - I've never seen an IPS panel yet that doesn't take atleast a few frames to stabalise after a snap 180 degree view change let alone give a good 120Hz panel a run for its money. While it doesn't quite do as well as the BenQ if your trying to track an object in motion its still decent there - far better than any non-TN I've ever used before and better than many TN panels.

So far appears it does 75Hz perfectly fine (fingers crossed it doesn't degrade life span) without frame drops or interpolation - not tried it at higher settings yet but heard you get frame drops from around about 80Hz upwards. While its not 120Hz its a whole load smooth and more responsive than 60Hz.

The big reason tho it pushed the BenQ to one side is the image quality - with my old Samsung 2233rz I'd have never even given it another thought but I was never happy with the BenQ - colors while vivid just felt off, even with the best possible calibration weren't pleasing on the eye and always had to make a compromise somewhere. While in gaming mode your lacking a bit of the calibration thats needed to get the very best color accuracy out of this panel its still leaps and bounds above the BenQ.

Does have a little bit of backlight bleed at the bottom left but not so bad it bothers me and so far not spotted any dead pixels.

EDIT: One downside on slower pans ingame with vsync off seeing more noticeable tearing at 75Hz than I'm used to with 120Hz.

EDIT2: Ended up putting the BenQ back - as much as the Dell is decent just couldn't live without the 120Hz smoothness in some games.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Actually really impressed by this panel - its ended up atleast temporarily replacing my BenQ XL2420T.

With gaming mode and a couple of other processing features disabled the input latency is decent - the odd time I notice it but 99% of the time its only very very slightly worse than the BenQ - tho with default settings is quite noticeable.

On fast view changes it actually stabalises faster than the BenQ which left me completely gob smacked - I've never seen an IPS panel yet that doesn't take atleast a few frames to stabalise after a snap 180 degree view change let alone give a good 120Hz panel a run for its money. While it doesn't quite do as well as the BenQ if your trying to track an object in motion its still decent there - far better than any non-TN I've ever used before and better than many TN panels.

So far appears it does 75Hz perfectly fine (fingers crossed it doesn't degrade life span) without frame drops or interpolation - not tried it at higher settings yet but heard you get frame drops from around about 80Hz upwards. While its not 120Hz its a whole load smooth and more responsive than 60Hz.

The big reason tho it pushed the BenQ to one side is the image quality - with my old Samsung 2233rz I'd have never even given it another thought but I was never happy with the BenQ - colors while vivid just felt off, even with the best possible calibration weren't pleasing on the eye and always had to make a compromise somewhere. While in gaming mode your lacking a bit of the calibration thats needed to get the very best color accuracy out of this panel its still leaps and bounds above the BenQ.

Does have a little bit of backlight bleed at the bottom left but not so bad it bothers me and so far not spotted any dead pixels.

EDIT: One downside on slower pans ingame with vsync off seeing more noticeable tearing at 75Hz than I'm used to with 120Hz.

EDIT2: Ended up putting the BenQ back - as much as the Dell is decent just couldn't live without the 120Hz smoothness in some games.

Edit2 broke my heart honestly....

Which games? BF3 for me sucks even at 60fps i suspect it needs 120fps for perfect smoothness.Improved a bit by using MSI framecap over ingame but im not happy currently at 60hz.

Not using the new u2913 but older smaller version of 2407 btw.

Man of Honour
Edit2 broke my heart honestly....

Probably one of the most suprising ones for most people will be eve online - not sure if its due to the way the game is implemented or just the advantage of 120Hz but once you start playing at 120Hz with it you notice how much smoother and more responsive the UI is and going back to 60-75Hz it feels a little "swimmy".

Playing games like bioshock and dishonored was absolutely amazing on the Dell the wide field of view, color quality and image stability really added to the experience and vsync + 75Hz was perfectly acceptable for single player but moving onto online FPS games (not tried BF3 but COD, etc.) with vsync off I was seeing way more tearing when panning around than I get with 120Hz and it didn't feel quite as responsive when it came down to it which after playing on 120Hz for so long bothered me.

I probably could have tweaked it a bit more to get it more responsive - there was a lot more I could have done with framerate caps, etc. but it was simpler for me just to go back to the BenQ and repurpose the Dell for other uses. I have to say I was really impressed with the panel in general the way the image almost instantly stabalised on a fast 180 degree view change was something I've totally not come to expect from IPS panels. I may end up trying to find a way to use it alongside the 120Hz for single player games as its so good there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been using this for the last 24 hours and cant get use to it :(

Its a nice screen but I cant help missing 120hz if the screen was 120hz I would have kept it.

The res is odd for most thing but in games its brilliant takes some getting used so buyers beware as even though its a 29" monitor it looks considerably smaller than the 27 it replaced.

Going to get this DSR'ed as I simply cannot get on with it :(

Man of Honour
Yeah its basically the same height as my 24 inch panels but wider - much wider. I know where your coming from I think - while theres 1-2 games like tomb raider where it kind of felt like looking through a letter box for other games it was immense and if it was only 120Hz it would have been a definite keeper. Games like dishonored took on a whole new level of immersion with the wider view and richness to the color.

Associate
I went through three U2913WMs because of dead pixels and then decided to ditch it and go with a BenQ XL2411t. I had heard it was great for gaming because of the higher refresh rate and pretty good picture quality to, at least for a TN panel.

Well I played around with it for about a week and yes the smoothness is great but you sacrifice virtually everything else.

The picture quality, even after the best calibration I could do, was no where near the level of the U2913wm straight out of the box. Also, the viewing angles are so bad that even if you're looking dead centre at the XL2411t, there is colour shift at the edges of the screen! Also the fact that the maximum resolution is only 1080p means I was getting less screen real estate than I was used to with a 4 year old HP 24".

So I put the XL2411t back and got another U2913wm and, thank the lord, this time no stuck pixels!

Yes, there is a decrease in smoothness but everything else about the U2913wm is in a league of its own. If you are a competitive online FPS player then sure go with the XL2411t, but if you actually care about what your games look like and want to be immersed in them, then there is currently nothing better than the U2913wm.

Back
Top Bottom