1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 13, 2019.

1. garnett

Soldato

From the Brexit thread but also relevant here...

Written commitments from this Govt only valid for 8 months it seems, before they can be reneged on...

Fascinating to see the thinking that comes out of a moral vacuum.

2. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

I really am starting to think they are going for a No Deal.

3. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Of course they are.

The economic hit from Corvid-19 is so big they can just blame everything on that now.

4. wesimmo

Mobster

This is probably true, Covid is the Brexiteers' saving grace in that regard. Given the irrational rejection of facts to this point, Covid will be used to muddy the waters of any debate about Brexit.

Unfortunately, while Covid + George Floyd could be the undoing of Trump, Covid + Brexit may well prop up Boris.

Probably better that way though. At least with a half decent POTUS any trade deals won't make us completely bend over, and the world economy will most probably more stable as the global economy tries to recover from Covid.

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I'm not sure why you'd think this. The US's demands under Trump are very similar to the demands which would be there under any president. The big difference with Trump is that he's erratic and prone to flattery; while I doubt he actually has anything much to do with the real work of signing trade deals, any influence he does have is likely to be more in our favour than against. The next president will calmly demand whatever it is that US industry and agriculture say they want. There's no real incentive for them to compromise.

It's occurred to me recently that it may be that the reason the Brexiteers are so keen on a US deal is that signing up to all this stuff will make it much more difficult to re-enter the EU in future.

6. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Why should they, they have massive leverage, especially if the UK goes No Deal. It really will be bend over time, big style.

7. wesimmo

Mobster

Fair enough, but I don't think anybody would be as dishonest and short sighted as Trump in negotiations.

And any negotiations would be at least rational, if still recognising our weak position.

Even if a deal was a case of mutual destruction in 5 years time but gave him a boost in the polls today, he'd do it.

8. wesimmo

Mobster

You're giving too much credit if you're talking about the voters I'd think.

The actual benefactors of Brexit, quite possibly.

9. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Anything to keep BoZo in Office will be done. The country, Pfft

10. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yeah, I wasn't talking about voters.

11. JeditOjanen

Soldato

If we exit with No Deal following COVID, then this time next year we'll have around 20% unemployment and every person in the UK will have a friend, relative or colleague who has died as a result of Tory policy. It's not going to prop him up.

12. wesimmo

Mobster

Oh ye of too much faith. :D

13. Greebo

Caporegime

Silli person. Once Covid have wiped out all the old and poor and BAME, there will be plenty of jobs for everybody .

Plus they can blame all the deaths of the scientests or China.

Already now I see posts on social media saying people should shut the **** up about BJ that he is the saviour of the UK and if you want to blame anybody for a relative's death then blame China. By next year half the country will be chanting this mantra.

14. simpletom

Wise Guy

Grim future of unthinking masses chanting "we won" while tucking into their British gruel, the Express leading a 'crusade' to knight Johnson and the DM continuing to print pictures of the young royals to divert attention from disaster.

The history books with have Johnson as a resilient figure of strength against adversity who didn't hide in fridges, go on holiday at a crucial time and displayed eminent statesmanship, leading from the front. A god amongst us mere mortals.

A cult of Johnsonism will be birthed, probably on these forums, where any critical thinking will be shunned. Those who dare speak out will be exiled to Scotland.

If you thought Children of Men was dystopian...

:p

15. ltron

Wise Guy

I always thought they were crazy enough to do this and the only reason they didn't do so last year was because their hand was forced. I am sad that it looks like I may well be proved right.

16. And

Hitman

That was the plan all along with Johnson and company, with a US trade deal their cherry on the cake.

17. garnett

Soldato

"World beating", says Johnson.

"World's worst", says everyone else..

18. Stretch

Capodecina

I had pretty low expectations of the this government but they have surpassed my wildest nightmares.

Boris has essentially gone into hiding and the front bench is so painfully second rate we’d actually be better off if they all resigned.

i dare say day even Jeremy Corbyn could have done better, with Diane Abbott as chancellor.

19. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Indeed, Abbott might be bad at math but Cummings used similar logic when worming his way out of a situation i.e. 1+1=2 so I did nothing wrong.

Let's not forget some of the figures that have been completely ballsed up during this pandemic.

20. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

This is very noticeable now, I don't even think he'd be turning up for PMQ's if he could feasibly get away with it.

In saying that, this is the man that fled into a fridge during the election campaign. Should we be surprised at this performance?