1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Stretch

Capodecina

To make matters worse the UK economy looks set to be the hardest hit by coronavirus of any country in the world... and that's before you factor in Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...-worlds-biggest-covid-19-casualty-oecd-warns/
    https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ely-to-suffer-worst-covid-19-damage-says-oecd
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...k-economy-recession-oecd-report-a9558191.html

There is no way the current government is equipped to lead this country through the next 5 years.

2. JeditOjanen

Soldato

There won't be a United Kingdom in five years time. The Tories have made it clear that they believe England is the UK, and by 2024 I expect they'll be right.

3. Stretch

Capodecina

How have they decided that?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  4. chroniclard

Capodecina

People starting to realise they voted in a woefully inept charlatan on the back of their bigoted misinformed views on Brexit.

5. Alpherah

Sgarrista

I just can’t believe how badly things have gone, and I’ve never been a fan of Boris to begin with but my god it’s surpassed even my worst fears.

There are so many things no ones bothered to consider or sort out .. ministers absolutely absent.. it’s like they all honestly felt they could sit back and relax until it’s all over.. because it won’t be long, right?

6. StriderX

Caporegime

By doing nothing to resolve the democratic deficit experienced by the other nations (though that's inherent) and only doing things that make it more likely.

The Tories could resolve it now if they wanted to, give English regions the devolution they deserve and advance devolution to the point that Westminster isn't just a playground for billionaires by removing it's sovereignty.

7. JeditOjanen

Soldato

The other day a Tory minister spoke out against Edward Colston accidentally tripping off his plinth and falling into the river by saying "we are a nation-state at least 1200 years old". Unless I overslept and it is now the 30th century, then he can only be referring to England - or more properly Mercia, as England as we know it didn't exist until 920. So to him, England and the UK are interchangeable.

8. StriderX

Caporegime

Well it's good that they know the UK is going to end, too bad they won't just take ownership of it.

9. Greebo

Caporegime

The UK isnt even 100 years old is it?

10. JeditOjanen

Soldato

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was created in 1801. If you're treating Ireland as an appendage then you might say 1707, which was the creation of the Kingdom of Great Britain.

11. Greebo

Caporegime

Ah but that was when we had the whole of Ireland in the UK. The current makeup of the UK consisting of England, Scotland, Wales and NI didnt occur until 1922.

But either way, its not 1200 years

12. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

13. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

They are shameless hypocrites.

14. garnett

Soldato

They're just seeing what they can get away with...

And it seems, if you're a xenophobe, and they continue to embolden your prejudices, there's no end to what you'll say is fine.

15. Roar87

Soldato

I can't actually find any information on who she is the wife of, Lubov Chernukhin is just the wife of a former Russian Minister. It's all so vague. The Russian Minister might just as easily now be hated by Putin - we just do not know. This is simply anti-Tory proganda, which is probably why it belongs in this thread of anti-Tory propaganda. Silly me.

16. Greebo

Caporegime

You dont see it a problem that one Russian has donated £1.6m over 5 years to the Tory party? Or that Russians donate half a million a year in general? I bet you and others would have been frothing at the mouth if it was reported that Corbyn had received that much money from Russia.

I suspect there is no relation between the donations and the Russian Interference enquiry report being buried but its bad optics. i would quite like my politicians to at least appear to not be corrupt.

Also second sentence in the article linked says

so clearly you didnt even bother clicking on the link before posting your rebuff? And once you know his name there are plenty of news stories about him

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nukhin-charged-perverting-course-justice.html

17. garnett

Soldato

"I ran out of mental energy before finding out something about this that I wanted to know, so I'm gunna dismiss the whole thing."

Well, thanks for your contribution. Forensic acuity truly brought to bear.

I love also that as the evidence you have bought to counter the claims that Putin was an ally is "they might have stopped being allies".

Defence Counsel around the UK will be adopting this "Something may have have happened, of which I have no evidence, but can imagine could have happened, and which turns this case on its head" defence.

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

That Kingdom was a successor state to both the Kingdom Of Scotland and the Kingdom Of England; carrying the laws and obligations of both. The boundaries of states shift almost constantly over history so it's not unreasonable to consider a direct line from the modern UK to the Kingdom of England united under Aethelstan in 927. The Kingdom of England, after all, had the same parliament that the UK adopted. That still leaves 100 years to find, which doesn't really make sense. If you, more tenuously, consider England a successor to Wessex, you'd have to go back another 400 and if its a successor to Mercia than its the same problem.

Edit Actually maybe we're tracing it through the wrong line, the Kingdom Of Scotland traces back to 843, which would make it more or less 1200 years.

(Personally, I'd take 1066 as the cutoff point, making it a bit under a thousand years)

19. JeditOjanen

Soldato

If we're going to get into history pedantry, the kingdom of England effectively dates to 920 when Edward was proclaimed ruler of Northumbria and the Danelaw.

And if you think a Tory would ever think of Scotland ahead of England, I have a bridge to sell you. They don't do that when they're sitting in it.

20. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Perhaps, but 927 is the date generally agreed on as a cutoff point by Historians. As always, History is messier than the neat dates we like to repeat would suggest.

And if you think they bothered to look up any references rather than simply repeating a figure they heard somewhere, I have a bridge to sell you.