1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Government Performance 2019-2024

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Dirk Diggler, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Roar87

Soldato

Tankers only really operate in safe air space, ideally yes it would be painted in camoflage, but it doesn't preclude it from being used as a tanker. A paint job would make no difference to anyone with the ability to shoot down a UK tanker.

2. arknor

Caporegime

so they aren't detectable by radar? what warzone have we had in the last decades where the enemy had an airforce?

what is this ww2? whos relying on sight to spot planes the guy makes no sense.

3. fez

Capodecina

That would hold some weight if what we were talking about was someone saying "I think we should kill all Jews". We are not. We are talking freedom of speech to say things that someone intentionally has to do some mental acrobatics to be able to decide is hate speech. That being said, hate speech has literally become that now.

The idea that saying something that could cause offence should open you up to the consequences of saying it is also madness. I say that I don't think trans women should be able to compete against biological women in sport. Does that mean that because someone is offended by that I could lose my job? What if my boss is trans and thinks they should be allowed to compete against biological women? Should they be allowed to fire me for voicing my opinion because it doesn't match their own?

The climate of being offended really needs to stop. Its getting ridiculous. If you cannot say anything negative about someone in a protected group simply because they are in that group then you have gone mad.

4. Murphy

Mobster

It doesn't need someone saying "I think we should kill all Jews" to carry weight, that's an argument to absurdity. And we're not talking about breaking laws in the situation being discussed, we're talking about breaking an organisations rules, we're talking about a leader deciding what is and isn't acceptable, we're talking about someone signing up to an organisations in the full knowledge that there's a leader, in the full knowledge that there are rules governing things, and agreeing to those rules and that there is a leader who, well, leads.

And as I've already told you we're not talking about saying something that could cause offense opening you up to the consequences of saying it, we're talking about repeatedly being told that saying something that could cause offense, being told why that is, and continuing to saying things that you've been told could cause offense, as i said in my opening sentence that you seem to have removed, like i said context is important...
    ^^Context^^ It frames what's said before and after it.

And if you said you don't think trans women should be able to compete against biological women in sport and someone took offense leading to you loosing your job you'd take them to court for unfair dismissal because you've got evidence and facts to demonstrate that you were not attacking someone, you'd not breached any rules, laws or regulations, that you didn't violate what was right or natural, and all the other definitions of the word "offense", that you were simply making a statement based on the evidence and facts.

5. JeditOjanen

Soldato

It absolutely isn't. RLB only supported what Maxine Peake said, which itself was only that Israeli law enforcement used the "neck kneel" technique and had taught it to US police officers. Both of these things are verifiable facts - that the US have been sending cops to Israel for training has even been confirmed by the people doing the training. Long-Bailey has been sacked purely for having the temerity to mention Israel while a leftist.

6. garnett

Soldato

Brexiteers gunna Brexiteer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  7. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

Thank goodness we are not in a financial mess with the virus and Brexit as well as a probable world recession.

8. Super-Spy

Hitman

Agreed. Lucky we have some of the most intelligent and brightest politicians that are experts at managing the country and the economy.

9. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I honestly don’t know enough about the economics of satellites but is £500m a good price to guarantee access to the spectrum and IP that OneWeb represents? Let alone the base station and 70odd satellites.

Id happily see us spending £1Bn a year into molten salt reactor technology and build though.

10. Steampunk

Sgarrista

Not really.

11. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I didn't expect the Guardian to have a headline syaing Government makes astute investment, unless it was bailing the Guardian out from bankruptcy. :)

12. Steampunk

Sgarrista

What else are they going to say when the government makes it so easy for them? Is there anything factually wrong in what the Guardian reported?

13. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I don't know, but they have offered an informed opinion chosen to suit their politics. I'm sure it's possible unless this deal is an absolute stinker to find an informed opinion with a differing postive outlook on the deal. If I'd read the story in the Register for instance I wouldn't be quite so sceptical of the source of criticism. The facts are they bought 20% of a company that owns 70+ satellites and some spectrum plus other bits. Everything else is inference an opinion is how I read it. But like I say I'd have preferred spending on molten slat nukes.

14. Tony Edwards

Mobster

How about the Torygraph? Sorry Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...rn-government-500m-satellite-push-could-fail/

15. Steampunk

Sgarrista

16. Murphy

Mobster

That they may have but what Steampunk quoted, and the Guardian also quoted, was a direct quote from Dr Bleddyn Bowen, a space policy expert at the University of Leicester. It wasn't the opinion of the Guardian or the columnist.

17. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

I hope you realise my post was sarcasm

18. garnett

Soldato

Rightly or wrongly, circumstances have been caused to arise so that Labour is not the party (lowercase "p") to criticise Israel at this time.
    His was too! Nobody's so dumb or dishonest (or both) as to actually consider this current Govt as "the most intelligent and brightest (sic) politicians that are experts..."

19. bobuk

Gangster

I seem to remember when this first came up Mrs May said we would build are own system for 100,000,000. I think we should go with hers or was this another lie.

20. Azza

Caporegime

Getting better and better for Jenrick.